Yes, I Feel Represented

Start from the beginning

"Outside on the front lawn."

"How would that help? No one would do anything."

"Brixton's next door."

"It's eight o'clock in the morning. He's probably still asleep."

Lincoln gives me a small huff.

"Please, Reign. I just want to talk."

"This is a trap, and I'm not falling for it. What are you really doing here?"

"Shit, Reign. Just come talk to me. I'll leave you alone after that."

"Alright, fine. But if I get assaulted or pranked or something, I won't be responsible for my actions."

"Nothing's going to happen to you, I promise."

"And I should trust your promises...why?"

"Are we talking or not?"

"You're avoiding the question."

"Are you always this difficult?"

"I'm pretty sure, yeah."

Lincoln snorts and makes way for me to walk out the door. I step out onto the small porch out front. I turn, waiting for Lincoln to start whatever he has to say.

"I know we are supposed to hate each other I guess, but I wanted to apologize on behalf of the guys. We shouldn't have done all the things we did and...oh, shit. I thought I could get through this without laughing."

"Are you high?"

"No, no! I am here to apologize. That's all."

"Well, I don't accept and Kyle can come out of the bushes now."

The two boys groan, and Kyle leaps over the short, white fence of the side of the porch. I raise my eyebrows at both of them, questioning what they were about to do.

"What did you want to do to me?"

"Make you cry or something."

"You didn't succeed, so please leave me the hell alone."

"Fuck. We'll try again soon."

"I hope not, boys."

Danny's car, a black 1955 Ford Thunderbolt, pulls up to the curb. He leans over and eyes Lincoln and Kyle. Without a second thought, Danny parks, turns off his engine, and gets out of the car. The two boys try running off, but Danny is too quick to see them, and trembling, they stay near me.

 The two boys try running off, but Danny is too quick to see them, and trembling, they stay near me

"Are these boys giving you trouble, sweet girl?"

"Not enough for you to be them up for."

"I might as well do it then."

I place my hand on his arm, nodding my head towards the car.

"They aren't worth it."

"It's worth it if they're bothering you."

"Danny. It's really no big deal."

"Are you sure, sweet girl?"

"Positive. Now, let's go look at some apartments."

Danny nods in agreement and gives one last death glare at the two boys. Protectively, he lets me walk in front of him, so the boys can't do any last tricks that they might have up their sleeves. Once I get in the car, without any complications, Danny turns back into the happy, go-lucky guy I've always known. His anger at Lincoln and Kyle dissipate into nothing but smiles and giggles as he tells me new jokes he learned. I roll my eyes at each one, but a small smile can't help but appear on my face. Nothing like your second (pretty much first) dad driving you crazy. 

"Gosh. You are insane."

"Not insane, just happy."

"Did you finally call my grandpop?"

"Don't turn my mood sour."

"Don't you both have a common goal? To hate my parents? Can't that reunite you guys?"

"We aren't superheroes and no. We don't want to hate your parents, but we do both disagree with how they treat their only child."

"Alright. I'm getting the vibe that you don't want to talk about this."

"I know you were pretty street smart too."

"I'm glad you have every confidence in me."

"Always, sweet girl. Are you sure those guys weren't bothering you?"

"Not any more than they usually do, Danny. I handle those two idiots. I already punched one."

"I know. I just want to make sure you know that I'm here for you."

"I know, Danny. So...any girlfriends or boyfriends?"

"No, I don't actually."

"Do you want one?"

Danny heaves a hard sigh, squeezing the steering wheel tight.

"I'm not into relationships. I'm not romantically attracted to anyone."

"Any interest in finding out anything about that?"

"I have done some research. It's called being aromantic."

"How do you feel about it?"

"I feel good. Great actually. There's a place where I belong."

"Is represented a good word for it?"

"Yes, I feel represented."

"I'm glad you found that representation. I think it needs to be acknowledged more."

"Coming from a person who now identifies that way, I completely agree."

"I'm happy for you Danny, and I'm sorry the world took so long."

"Thank you, but there's a lot more that still needs to happen."

"There sure is."

Danny pulls up to the first apartment, and looking around the neighborhood, I'm not so sure I'm going to like the apartment. It's kind of away from campus and my jobs. I would have to drive my car a lot, more than I already do, and I don't know if I want to do that. We check it out, but I'm not feeling it, so we spend about another three hours searching through apartments. 

I sit in the car exhausted from the day and feeling completely lost. I don't want to have to suffer in the sorority any more than I absolutely have to, and it seems I might have to for longer than I would ever want to. Things are not looking so hot right now.

"We are going to find something for you today, okay sweet girl?"

"Gosh, I hate this. What if I don't find anything?"

"Then we'll try tomorrow. We are going to find you the place you want. No giving up yet. We both know that you have an incredible amount of determination."