Chapter 9 - Forever

Paul pinned Emma to the ground, trying to ignore the pain in his shoulder. Emma struggled, but Paul only pushed her harder against the concrete.

"Paul..." she said softly, "Don't you want to spend more time with me? Don't you love me?

That question surprised Paul. "Emma, I-"

Emma smirked and pulled one arm back while Paul was distracted. Paul tried to grab it again, but Emma lifted her arm and pushed her hand hard against Paul's left shoulder. Paul screamed in pain, his other hand grabbing his shoulder, while Emma jumped up.

Paul looked at her, terrified. "It's okay. Just do it. It's my fault that they got you and I don't want to be without you any longer." He looked around, trying to spot Henry. He wouldn't be able to fight if he needed to, so he'd better hurry.

Emma crouched down next to him and stroked his cheek. "Paul..." Music started somewhere in the distance. They were so far from the meteor, but apparently it was that powerful. Emma took his hands in hers and started singing.

None of this is your fault

But I know you think it is

So if you want to make it up to me

Just give me a kiss

Paul started crying, he really hoped Henry would be there soon, he didn't know how much longer he could stand this

I'm so sorry that I left you
But I didn't have a choice
But for now, please listen
Just listen to my voice

Emma looked in Paul's eyes. Her eyes were blue, but they were still so beautiful, and Paul really hoped that someday he would see them brown again.

I'm sorry that we didn't have much time
But now we can have more
Come and just take the hand
Of the woman you adore

The music got louder and faster, Emma stood up and walked around Paul. Paul closed his eyes, it was difficult to not just hug her and give in.

We'll be together
Forever
We'll be happy
Forever
We'll live a better life
Together in the Hive

Emma looked proud of her performance, but her smile immediately dropped. She stared at something, or someone, in the distance. Paul turned around, and there he was, running towards them: Henry Hidgens.

The man crashed into Emma, pulling her down to the floor and grabbing her wrists tightly. She looked confused for a brief moment, before trying to fight her way out of his grip. "Paul! It's in my back pocket!" the professor shouted.

Paul regained his senses and ran towards them. Henry was moving while trying to keep Emma still, making it harder to grab the vaccine, but after a few seconds, Paul was holding the syringe in his hand. He pulled the safety cap off and crouched down next to Emma. He held her arm still and pushed the needle into her skin. Emma stiffened, before screaming like she was in pain. Paul pulled the needle back and Hidgens let her go. Emma curled herself up and tears streamed down her face.

"Em?" Paul asked softly, rubbing his hand over her back.

Emma flinched, but as soon as she noticed who it was she relaxed again. She turned around to face them, her eyes filled with pain and fear. "Paul?" she asked, her voice weak and tired, "What is happening?"

Hidgens held his hand against her forehead, "How are you feeling, dear?"

"I'm exhausted and dizzy, I feel like I have to throw up and I can't remember anything. What happened?" Paul and Henry looked at each other.

Paul put the syringe in his pocket and helped Emma to sit up. "I promise we'll explain everything to you, but first we have to get you somewhere where it's safer, okay?"