Chapter 5 - The Hive

When Paul woke up the next day, he was exhausted, nightmares had kept him up the majority of the night. He put on a suit, not even bothering to tie the tie correctly.

Henry was already downstairs, sipping a cup of coffee. He didn't look like he'd had a good night either. "Good morning," Paul said, making a cup of coffee for himself. "Have you heard anything from PEIP?"

"It's eight in the morning."

"Oh. Right." Silence filled the room as both men drank their coffee.

"Grief is a complex feeling," Hidgens spoke up after a few minutes.

Paul nodded, "I never knew you could care so much about someone you've known for not even two months."

Henry sighed, "I don't know if I should hope she is infected or not. If she is, there's a chance we can save her, but there's also a chance we lose her a second time."

Paul put his cup on the table. "We don't have much of a choice... I just wish it would've gone differently."

"You're a good man, Paul. You couldn't do anything to save her. Don't blame yourself."

Paul sighed, "I'm going to check the mailbox, I'll be right back." He closed the door behind him and the sun shone on his face.

"Hey! Paul!" someone shouted. Paul recognized that voice. He turned around.

"Alice?! What are you doing here?"

The girl walked towards him. "You tried to destroy us. I was the only one who survived. I rebuild our army on the way here. I'm here to get our revenge."

I might be eighteen
But that doesn't mean I'm weak
'Cuz the Hive is doing its work
They're taking over as we speak

"Alice? Alice, please!" Paul begged as the teen came closer. He stumbled back.

Some might say I killed my dad
But you're the one who ended his life
The only way to make it up to him
Is to join the Hive

I trusted you
I even loved you
But now all that is gone
We could be one big family
Because that's what we'll become

Alice started dancing around Paul. The part of him that loved her was glad to see her so happy, she hadn't been herself since the divorce. But the part of him that knew it wasn't Alice was terrified.

The Hive is happy
The Hive doesn't suffer
I know you want it
I know you want her

We could reunite you
With the woman you love
Because of the meteor
That came from above

"Make the right choice, or you'll never see Emma again," Alice spoke. "The Hive could give you everything you want, and I know you want her back." A tear fell down Paul's cheek. "I know it's a difficult decision, so I'll make it for you."

You will die

Her hands were tight around his throat. "Alice, please..." he choked. "It's me, uncle Paul."

"Hah, you were never my uncle. You were just a friend of dad. But guess what? He's dead. You will follow him soon."

Paul's vision began to blur. The lack of oxygen made him lightheaded. He was just about to give in when he heard another voice. "STOP!"

Alice pulled away and paul looked up at the person who saved him.

Her shirt had blue and red stains on it and she had a bloody cut on her cheek, but it was undoubtedly her.

Emma.