Chapter 2 - Quiet

It was only a few days later when Paul was sent home. Colonel Jones offered to drive him, and he agreed.

"I'd like to ensure you that Michelle Carter will be in prison for the next decade. I hope that'll make you feel a bit better." the colonel said while he pulled up to the house.

"Yeah... Anyway, thank you for bringing me home."

"Not a problem. I'll make sure to contact you later this week. See you later, Ben."

"Thanks colonel." Paul got out of the car and walked to the house. He turned around, and the car was gone already.

Henry opened the door. "Paul."

Paul looked at him, "Henry."

"I'm glad you're home again. It was quiet without you and Emma..."

Paul could see tears fill his eyes and put his hand on the professor's shoulder. "Emma was a great girl. But do you think she'd want you to be sad about what happened?" Paul sighed, he was sad too, devastated even, but he'd try to make something of his life. For Emma. The professor shook his head. "Well then. Emma gave her life for me, and I won't let that go to waste. I miss her, and I'd never forget her, but no matter how difficult it will be, we must move on."

Henry nodded slowly. "For Emma?" he asked.

"For Emma." Paul assured him.

They awkwardly looked at each other before Henry stepped aside so Paul could enter. Paul closed the door behind him and turned towards Henry, who was wiping his tears away with the sleeve of his turtleneck. Paul brought his bag to his room upstairs. When he got back down, Henry called his name from the kitchen. "Paul? You want tea? Or do you prefer coffee?"

Paul entered the kitchen and sat down on one of the chairs. "A black coffee please, that's what Em-" He sighed, "You know what? Tea is fine."

Henry nodded and started boiling the water. "Do you know that she always talked about you?"

"What?"

"She didn't know your name, but she was always talking about how happy the 'Black Coffee Guy' made her when she was having a rough day. I heard you leave pretty good tips."

Paul let out an anxious chuckle, "I had to do something, I've had a crush on her since the first time I went to Beanies."

"We have to be back at work in ten minutes, this line is too long!" Bill complained when he and Paul waited in line at the Starbucks shop close to their office. The line was so long that some people were even waiting outside.

"I heard a new coffee shop opened a few blocks away, if we go now, we'll probably make it in time." Paul suggested. Bill agreed and they started walking.

It only took them about three minutes to get there, and there was no one waiting at the counter. The barista was cleaning a table and when she noticed the two men entering, she walked to the counter to take their order. The barista looked up at Paul and their eyes met. Her eyes were the prettiest Paul had ever seen, and her laugh was so cute. Her voice was so beautiful that Paul didn't even listen to what she was saying.

Bill bumped his shoulder against Paul's, bringing him back to reality. "What can I get for you?" the barista repeated.

"Ehh, a black coffee?" he said, laughing anxiously.

"One black coffee and one iced caramel frappuccino please." Bill said, taking his wallet out of his pocket. The barista laughed and started making their coffee. Paul couldn't help but stare at how perfect her hair fell over her shoulders. When she turned around again, she was holding two cups.

Bill paid for their order and dropped two dollars into the tip jar. The barista smiled. "Thank you."

Bill looked at his watch. "Shit! We have to be at work in two minutes. Hurry!"

While they left the small ship, Paul looked around one last time. The barista was cleaning the counter, her hair falling in front of her face. He took a sip of the coffee, it was the worst coffee he'd ever tasted, he could probably make better coffee himself. But Paul knew he'd come back here many times.