Rainy days

Tony had moved to New York to put the finishing touches on his tower. Unsurprisingly, he had worked all day until pepper forced him to leave and walk around the city. She yelled at him for calling the workers a bunch of idiots and told him to clear his head before coming back. He's pretty positive that was code for leave and quit nagging me.

Now he hasn't walked the streets of New York in... nope he's never walked the streets of New York. Usually, if he was there, he was for all of a few seconds, zooming through the streets in his sports car.

It was different, he had thrown on some big sunglasses and held a large umbrella over his head to protect himself from the rain and to try to hide his identity which mostly worked, anyone who recognized him took a selfie and moved on.

The streets were interesting, the people, the noises, the music, the buildings... it was all different. It wasn't his style of course, but the ten thousand dollar suit he was wearing made it very clear to everyone around him.

He realized he hadn't yet had his hourly dose of coffee and searched for a Starbucks or something to step into. He couldn't find a Starbucks, but spotted and small coffee shop at the corner. As the rain started to come down faster, he jogged to the door, shook off his umbrella and stepped inside.

•••

5:00am, steve woke up and head over to the gym, it was usually empty which is exactly why he went to early.

7:00am, he went home and showered before getting dressed and just walking around a bit, taking in as much of the new world as possible. He thought maybe it'll help with his transition.

By 8:00 am he was in his usual spot at his usual coffee and with - you guessed it - his usual order. Not like he had to order it, Carla, the barista, knows it by now.

"That'll be $1.50" she said with a smile from behind the counter, "anything special for today steve?"

He laughed as he dropped the exact amount in her hand and dropped some extra change in the tip jar, "just the same old same old", and grabbed his coffee from the girls hand, "thank you".

He walked over to his spot in-front of the large glass window and sat down with a sigh 'same old' he thought. Nothing exciting, nothing new, nothing out of the ordinary.

Just as that thought came to his mind, the bell of the door opening chimed and drew his attention to the well dressed man who had just walked in. He thought nothing of it, though he was surprised someone dressed like him was roaming the streets. He figured someone like that would pull up in some fancy sports car.

He watched him walk to the counter and turned his attention back out the window as lightning struck over the skyline of New York. As water droplets slid down the glass pane next to him he went back to wishing he was back in his small apartment. He thought of the time Bucky brought him some soup when he was small and weak. It had been raining all week and he had one hell of a cold.

"You gonna drink that or let it go cold?" Steve snapped out of it and turned to face the man and realized it was the well dressed man that walked in a few minutes ago.

Steve let out a chuckle and smiled at the man, before he had the chance to say anything, he was already sitting across from him, "I hate the rain too, messes up my suit".

Steve laughed, "I don't mind it," he took a sip of his coffee, "makes you more grateful when the sun comes back out".

Tony smiled "I guess you're right" and took a big gulp of his coffee.

"I'm surprised you walked here, especially in the weather"

"Why's that"

"I guess I thought you'd be driving off in some Mercedes" steve responded, without knowing who the man really was, though he did notice some similarities between him and a man he once knew, Howard Stark.

"Do you know who I am or something?" Tony asked, hoping he that this handsome - not hot - blonde doesn't recognize him so he could have a normal conversation for once without ogling over the fact he's iron man.

Steve smirked "you're suit," he chuckled "and the way you stand"

Tony sat back in his chair, 'thank god' he thought. "Is there something wrong with it?" And smiled.

Steve shook his head and looked at his coffee before looking back up, "no, not at all," he scanned the door and saw someone he did know about to walk in. A man he had previously pulled off of a woman in a back alley and turned in to the police.

Tony noticed he was distracted and turned around, he noticed the same man who looked quite sketchy in his opinion. Super built, tattoo sleeves, a long beard and a healing scar on his cheek, courtesy of steve.

He turned back around to steve, "Someone you know?" He asked. "Were you supposed to meet someone I'm so-"

"No, no," steve cutoff. "Just someone I had a run in with last week" and turned his attention back to tony when the man recognized steve and immediately turned away.

"Okay so you're -" he was cut off by his phone ringing in his pocket, "sorry" steve shook his head and directed his attention elsewhere as he took the call. "Am I done with my timeout?" "Ha okay I'll be there in ten." He hung up and got ready to stand back up.

"I'm sorry I have to head back to work," he reached out his hand, "tony" he smiled.

"Steve" he grabbed his hand and gently shook it.
Tony smiled wide and grabbed his umbrella, "it was really nice to meet you steve"

"Yeah you too" steve smiled back and watched as he walked out of the shop. Immediately opening his umbrella and walking quickly across the street.

He looked back down at his coffee and played with the spoon leaning inside of the cup 'another nice person I'll never see again' he thought and returned to his thoughts.