Ancient History

_______________________________________________________________________________

Amdis smiled at Ariel as she pulled the covers up to her neck and leaned over to kiss her friend on the forehead. Ariel gave her a tired smile back before shaking her head.

"You can't let Gemma tell Jackson about any of this. Promise me."

Amdis sighed and shrugged. "I can't keep her from talking to her son, my darling."

Ariel lifted a brow at that. "You can compel her and you know it."

"What would be so bad about your Jackson coming to your rescue?" When Ariel just shrugged, Amdis pointed a finger at her as she stood up. "You need to stop being a martyr and taking the world's problems onto your own shoulders. Let someone help you once in a while." When Ariel just sighed, Amdis continued. "Now then. Get some rest. My blood can only do so much, you know. You have to assist it."

She gently closed the door to the small bedroom behind her before walking down the short hall to the living room. She found Gemma and Venus on the couch with a tray of sandwiches on the coffee table. Gemma motioned to the food as Amdis sat across from them in a faded leather recliner. 

"She didn't have much but I made some sandwiches."

Amdis grinned and shook her head. "I'm good. I'll step out for a bite later." When Venus gave her a look, she grinned unrepentantly. "What? There are plenty of little forest creatures out this way."

Gemma chuckled quietly and shook her head. "I don't know what to make of you."

Amdis nodded as she leaned forward to pour herself a glass of bourbon from the bottle on the table. "I'm sure that's true. I'm also sure that you have questions."

Venus nodded in agreement. "Yes, Gemma. Now would be the time to ask them."

Gemma sighed before sitting back on the couch to get comfortable. "Alright. Are you really a vampire?" She held up a hand when Amdis started to answer. "Don't get me wrong. I know what I saw and I know what the legends are but... "

Amdis chuckled as she swirled the amber liquid in her glass. "But you're wondering how you got on this episode of Supernatural, correct?" Venus chuckled as Gemma nodded in agreement. "All I can tell you about that is that yes, I am a vampire. The legends have to come from somewhere, right? Now you know that they are in based somewhat in fact."

Gemma nodded. "How old are you? I mean, you look like you're around thirty."

Amdis winked, making Gemma and Venus both laugh. "I have good genes." When they finished laughing, she continued. "I am one hundred and sixty years old." When Gemma looked shocked, she chuckled. "I am considered a teenager. There are vampires that are older than a millennium."

Gemma shook her head. "How did you end up... like this?"

Amdis sighed. "You mean a vampire?" When Gemma nodded, she continued. "My family died during the Cholera outbreak in London. Andreas found me when I was at death's door myself and turned me. I've been this way ever since."

Gemma reached out and squeezed Amdis's hand. "I'm sorry, sweetheart. I mean, I know it's been a long time but still... " She seemed to think of something. "Wait... how do you walk around in the sunlight? Is that not a real thing?"

Amdis chuckled and nodded. "No, it's a very real thing." She held up her right hand, showing a beautifully ornate ring with a huge ruby in the setting. "I wear this ring so that I can walk around with everyone else." She held up a finger. "Let me save you some time. Garlic doesn't bother us, I don't sleep in a coffin, a wooden stake will kill us but it has to be a certain type of wood."

Gemma nodded before waving a hand between Venus and Amdis. "How do you all know each other? This doesn't seem like a normal friendship."

Venus chuckled. "No darlin', it isn't. I've known Ariel longer than Amdis and the others."

Gemma raised a brow at that. "There are others?"

Venus nodded. "Oh yes." She took a sip of her drink before continuing. "Now, Ariel and I met when we were much younger. It wasn't until I visited her at the Institute that I met the others. We all became fast friends." She smirked as she glanced at Amdis. "You know, the odd ones stick together."

Amdis snorted and shook her head. "The Institute. Good Christ that was a while ago. Thank god."

Venus sighed. "I know. That place was horrible. I was so happy when you all got out of there."

Amdis snickered. "Damn shame about that fire that night."

Venus laughed and nodded. "Oh yes. Horrible shame." She sighed. "You know, the funny thing is that I'm the most normal out of the group."

Gemma chuckled. "That's hard to believe. How did you meet Ariel? Were you sick as well?"

Venus sighed and shook her head. "No. Unfortunately, my mother thought that I had a disease. I was sent to the hospital for conversion therapy. I met Ariel there before she was sent to the Institute."

Gemma shook her head and muttered under her breath as Amdis filled her glass again and pointed toward the back bedroom. "I just wonder how long it will take for Ariel to see that she isn't some monster?"

Venus shook her head. "I don't know, sugar. She's always felt like that. I think because she couldn't control her actions when she was younger and she lets it haunt her to this day."

Amdis nodded. "Well, we need to try to change that. Heavens, if we're going by what happened when we were younger and unable to control ourselves, I don't even want to think about how monstrous I was when I was learning to control my powers." She looked at Gemma. "She doesn't want Jackson to know about today."

Gemma sighed and shook her head. "What even happened to her?"

Amdis stared at the bourbon in her glass before answering. "Someone named Darby happened to her. I'll be taking care of that personally."