Taken

_______________________________________________________________________________

Ariel shivered as she pulled her cloak closer around her shoulders, looking down at the big cat beside her. She sighed as he purred at her in the quiet of the evening. "Do you hear it too, Chimera?" When the cat gave a louder yeow, she nodded and sighed once more. "I suppose you're right."

Ariel closed her eyes and took a deep breath, lifting her arms toward the bright moon above her head as she stood in the clearing behind her house and centered herself. She could feel the brush of her familiar's fur against her legs as she concentrated and took a deep breath. 

When she opened her eyes again, she was in a dimly lit room inside a small cabin set in the woods at the edge of town. She glanced around before seeing what she was there for. As she stepped quietly toward the small cot in the corner, the little boy laying on it turned his head toward her, his eyes hidden behind a dirty bandana being used as a blindfold.

"Who's there? I want my daddy!"

Ariel knelt beside the cot, taking the boy's hand in hers as she used the other to loosen the knot on the blindfold. "My name is Ariel, Abel. I don't want you to be scared, alright? I'm here to take you to your daddy. Now be still while I remove these shackles."

Once the blindfold and restraints had been removed, Abel reached up and rubbed his eyes before giving her a small smile. "You're pretty. Are you an angel?"

Ariel chuckled as she stood and held out a hand to the filthy child. "No, Abel. I'm just a helper, that's all. I heard you crying and wanted to help you. Come with me now, child."

He took her hand and she led him to the locked door, holding a finger to her lips for quiet. She tilted her head and concentrated, satisfied when she heard the lock tumbler turn. The door swung open on silent hinges as she led Abel through the small hall out to the main room.

She spared a glance at the men sitting in the kitchen, playing cards and laughing at each other's jokes. Her eyes narrowed to slits as once again she tilted her head in concentration. Before she could have blinked, the men slumped over at the table, the card game forgotten as they all fell into a deep sleep.

Nodding her head in approval, she ushered a silent Abel out of the cabin and into the small clearing. As they neared the dirt road, she lifted a hand and snapped her fingers. Behind them, the shotgun cabin erupted in a fireball that split the night sky as Ariel walked on with her small charge at her side, not looking back as screams began to rise in the night.

_______________________________________________________________________________

Jax ran into St. Thomas' emergency department, frantic eyes searching for Chief Unser as the rest of the club followed behind him. David Hale had been talking to one of the nurses when he saw them come running in, so he walked quickly to Jax's side, holding a hand up.

"The Chief's back with Abel." When Jax started to speak, David shook his head, a small smile on his face. "Abel looks to be fine, just hungry."

Jax sagged in obvious relief as Opie and Gemma grabbed him to keep him from falling. While they would never be friends, David could only imagine what the other man had been through. Abel had been missing for two weeks, an apparent kidnapping. They still didn't have many answers, but the important thing at that moment was that the little boy was safe and relatively unharmed.

Gemma shook her head as Jax ran a shaky hand over his hair. "How... I mean, we've looked everywhere. How did he just show up here?"

David nodded. "He wasn't alone." He sighed before continuing. "A young woman brought him in. Now, we are positive that she had nothing to do with his disappearance, so... "

Jax held up a hand. "Wait, how do you know? Where is this woman?"

David sighed again. "She's back with Unser and Abel. Abel wouldn't let her leave his side." When Gemma started to speak, David held up a hand. "Her name is Ariel Fleming. She lives out on the edge of the reservation. She's a little strange but not dangerous."

Tig frowned from beside Gemma. "What do you mean she's strange?"

David shrugged. "She keeps mostly to herself. She doesn't really like other people and to be honest, she really isn't welcome in town."

Jax shook his head. "I don't give a shit if she's welcome in town or not. She found my boy. She can go anywhere she wants."

"Daddy!"

They all turned to see Abel running across the waiting room, a huge smile on his face as he launched himself into Jax's arms. Jax clutched his son to his chest, kissing him repeatedly on the face as the little boy giggled. As Jax handed him to his grandmother, he noticed the woman standing beside the chief. Jax took a step or two toward her, a hand out. "Are you Ariel?"

The woman nodded as Jax took her hand in his. He was struck by how beautiful she was. Her hair was a long and wild riot of black curls except for a shock of white at her temples. Her eyes were bright, almost neon green. She was close to Gemma's height and slight as if she didn't eat enough. Her skin was pale, giving her an almost fragile appearance. It didn't help her pallor that she was dressed all in black, a lace corset over a long flowing skirt that reached her ankles. Over that was a black cloak that made her look like she belonged in the Victorian era.

He felt like he'd been struck by lightning when she smiled and stepped closer to him. "I'm happy that I could reunite you and your boy."

Jax nodded as the soft raspy sound of her voice washed over him, relaxing his stretched nerves. He shook his head to clear it as he took a step closer to her. "I owe you so much, Ariel. I don't know... "

Ariel shook her head and squeezed his hand before letting go and stepping back from him. "You owe me nothing. I must go now, but please, keep the ones you love close, Jackson. The threat is far from gone."

Before he could say anything else, she had walked out of the emergency waiting room. Jax turned to Unser. "What do you know about her?"

Unser shrugged. "Ariel is... special."

Jax turned to Juice. "I want... " He shook his head. "No, I need to know everything you can find out, man." When Juice nodded, he turned to Abel with a grin. "Let's go home, kiddo."