5. [Secret Admirer]

Vashtie Carter

"So you guys didn't have sex?"

I rolled my eyes for about the fifth time since Dayjah called. She sounded almost disappointed that nothing happened between Chris and I. What happened with Chris was so uncalled for, I never planned on getting drunk. I don't ever drink like that but I guess I felt like I had to be spontaneous and step out of my shell to have a good time. I don't regret it at all but I just hope Chris doesn't think I'm like that all the time. Maybe I should clear it up with him later.

"No we didn't Dayjah. And what have I told you about calling while I'm at work?" I quizzed with my eyebrow raised as if she could even see me. I only had a few minutes left of work, but as soon as I was done I knew Dayjah was going to be at home, waiting for me at the door.

"Sorry, I'm just bored. When are you coming home?" She asked with a loud yawn straight after.

"Soon. Now get off my phone before you get me fired"

I hung up and sighed looking at the massive amount of work I had to sort through. When did my passion, that is photography, become so stress filled and tedious?

I love my job a lot but by the way things are going, me running out of ideas, having no muse and just down right being bored, I was going to quit anytime soon. Before I was hired for this job I used to take photos of anything and everything. The lake by my house was my go to spot to capture nature at its finest. But now it seems as though everything I capture has to be organised and planned out. There's not fun in that at all.

"Knock knock" Linda called out as she barged into my box of an office. It'd make more sense if she actually knocked on my door instead of saying the words knock knock, but I'm not going to voice my opinion because that would lead to me being fired.

"What's up?"

Linda made her way over to my cluttered desk and perched on the side of it. It wasn't till she fully entered my office that I realised that August, one of my colleagues, was standing right at the threshold of the door. I've seen his work and he likes to delve more into the abstract side of photography, kind of like myself.

"I know you've been struggling with work lately, I won't hold that against you since magazines aren't your forte" she spoke with a raised eyebrow. She knew all of this but still urged that I do the front cover knowing full well that other people who worked here knew the ins and outs of creating the best front cover possible. "So with that being said, I asked Mr Alsina over here to work with you and you know, let your creative juices flow between each other"

I looked up at August who still stayed put at the door. He looked so nervous he barely even made eye contact with me or at least crack a smile. We've both been working here together for a while and not once have I seen him utter a single word.

"Oh okay. That's completely fine" I answered, my eyes still fixed on August. His sheepish behaviour was making me want to know all about him. I heard that the quiet ones always say the most interesting things.

"Perfect" she chimed clasping her hands together, a broad smile spread across her face. "I'll leave you two to it" she finally exited, closing the door on the way out.

As soon as I heard the click of the door, an awkward silence filled the room. Why was he being so quiet and antisocial.

"You can have a seat, if you want to" I offered. He shifted from foot to foot before briefly glancing at me and walking over to the seat I gestured to. I watched him as he placed all his things on the spare empty desk that was in front of him. I noticed that his hands were slightly shaking as he arranged his sheets of paper and he was barely making eye contact with me. I know I'm not the prettiest girl but was I that bad that it's so hard for him to look at me?