4. [Something In This Liquor]

Vashtie Carter

Six o'clock was edging closer and closer. Every time I glanced at the clock, it seemed like a minute had passed when in fact it had been an hour. It was now three forty five which means I get off this shift in about fifteen minutes. That left me with approximately two hours to get my self ready for Chris' arrival.

I knew I didn't need to go all out or impress him with some unnecessarily expensive clothes because he did say he wanted to chill. I hope that chill is really what he means though. When Dayjah made me go on all these dates, she explained with great detail that sometimes the word "chill" isn't always what men really mean. Let's just say I learned more that I needed to that day.

My phone began to vibrate and the familiar tune of One in a million by Aaliyah began to play, letting me know that it was Dayjah calling me. I had made that song her ringtone because it was her favourite song.

"Hello?" I spoke into the phone hoping I wasn't going to hear her moans of pleasure this time.

"Hey Vashtie, I was wondering if you wanted me to go over to Trey's house so you and Chris can have your alone time?" she asked. It would make the situation more awkward than I know it's going to be if she was there, so that doesn't sound like a bad idea.

"Yeah sure, that'd be cool" I replied.

"Great. And if you don't call me by midnight then I know he dicked you down good" she chimed with a giggled.

I rolled my eyes as if she could see me. She was always talking about sex and mocking me because I was a 22 year old virgin. There's nothing wrong with saving sex till marriage and I'm sure I'm not the only one who agrees on this view.

"I will definitely be calling you then. Just to let you know that nothing like that will be happening tonight. Plus I barely even know him" I argued into the phone.

"Calm down V, I was kidding. Plus you do need some dick in your life anyways. Maybe it will loosen you up a bit. And I'm not talking about your vagina when I say that"

I hung up the phone as soon a she uttered those words. I couldn't get that thought out of my head now, thanks to Dayjah. She was being way too vivid. I did sometimes want to know what it felt like, and I sometimes even thought of giving it up easy just to know what all the hype was about. But then again, my virginity is special, almost sacred. I wouldn't want to just throw it away like that.

There was a soft knock on the door and I quickly sorted out my desk and acted as if I'd been working all that time before yelling a "come in" to whoever was behind the door.

Linda popped her head in and smiled at me before walking all the way in and shutting the door behind her.

"Oh, Hey Linda" I chimed as she came over to my desk and sat on it.

"Vashtie, I need to know when this magazine cover is going to be done" she said flipping her blonde hair to one side. She didn't even bother saying hello back. How rude.

Sometimes she can be a real "female dog" but I guess since she's my boss she has to act a certain way to demand my respect. To be honest all you gotta do to earn my respect is to respect me first. But I'm not going to tell her my opinion, I'm not trying to lose my job here. I worked so hard to get to where I am now.

"Uh to tell you the truth it's not going to be anytime soon. I'm just a photographer, this stuff is not my forte. I'm really new to this" I say truthfully as Linda raises her manicured eyebrow.

"Okay well that means you have to work over time on Thursdays and Fridays. And you are going to have to take your work home with you" she demanded as I mentally rolled my eyes.