•Chapter Five•

The boy's dark, brown hair was seen peeking above the hilltop. I laughed, and laughed, and laughed. I bent over with childish giggles, my stomach writhing in cheerful pain. 

"I can see you!" I yelled playfully, sprinting towards him. Peeking above the hilltop, his mischievous smile spread across his face, making his breath-taking eyes squint.

"Well Bekah, I was hoping you wouldn't! I am a spy after all!" he laughed.

"For whom, Mark?" I laughed playfully, skipping in circles around him. 

"Why, I'm not sure. But I can tell you that it's confidential! Girls aren't allowed to know who I report to," he shot back, with a grin pasted on his tan, freckled face. 

I smiled and sprinted ahead, letting the rush of wind catch in my lungs and fill me with adrenaline. My eight year old imagination took ahold of my conscience, and I was now a running Indian girl, running after buffalo and mustangs. 

"Come along Mark! We must hurry! I can't be late for supper!"

Rolling his eyes, the boy fled after me, smiling and giggling in his youthful fun.

*           *           *          *           *           *           *

The flashback I had of the boy with green eyes yielded in my head, and I swam back into the reality I was in. This boy, now a man, couldn't be Mark Adams, my childhood best friend. 

"Mark Adams?! Is it really you?" I questioned excitedly. Before he could speak in reply I ran to embrace his frame. He laughed heartily and seemed to teeter on one leg, wincing in pain. I thought nothing of it.

He seemed to appear relieved at my recognition and embracement.

"It truly is, in the flesh. My heavens, I never thought I would lay my eyes on you again! At least not until the war was over! How has your life been? We have lots to tell each other," he spoke quickly, showing his excitement in discovering our lost friendship.

I smiled gently, but the question that wouldn't bother to leave my thoughts was how and why he was here. 

"Before we do so, I must ask how you found me and why, Mr. Adams."

His right eye flinched at the addressing of his last name. He couldn't think that after all these years that we could just talk and play like the close friends we were! It has been so long, and our friendship will have to repair in order for it to be as it was.

"Oh yes! What was I thinking; showing up and scaring you, then asking if we could talk about the past years. Well, in my odd predicament, my father sent me off to hide from some of the King's generals. He got in quite some trouble, so he sent me away to keep away from his troublesome ways," he spoke softly, seeming saddened at the thought of this father.

"I was simply on my way to my Uncle James' home down the street from here. I stopped here because my ankle was in a terrible pain. I hope you can accept my apologies as to why I was sneaking about your loft."

I nodded in sympathy. The thought of Father discovering Mark in our barn scared me beyond measure. I didn't wish to discuss the problem with Father to Mark, but it would have to come up. He could not be discovered, especially if he is a patriot.

Before speaking about the situation, Father's booming voice rang out amongst the hills and fields of the plantation.

I flinched, and felt my eyes widen.

"Quick! Hide Mark, don't let him discover your presence," I hushed him and pushed him towards the ladder. Mark was quite confused and his expression showed, but with no argument, he fled up the ladder and jumped into the hay.