•Chapter Fifteen•

Jamie's movements soon died down to the silent night air. I was breaking curfew for the second time this week, but I bothered to worry none.

What focus I had left in my body was centered on the mysterious notes left at my doorstep and inside the barn. Mark was brave to leave the note in the barn. Any servant could've picked it up and swept it underneath Father's nose. I pondered if Mark knew this, so he had waited for the sound of our footsteps before sneaking away. Surely that could be too treacherous, he must've been handed luck.

My head rested against the smooth texture of the stall door and I felt myself drifting into sleep. Odd familiarity was felt as I realized that I would be sleeping here for the second time today. My eyes crinkled at the corners as I chuckled to myself.

The gentle thudding of Jamie's hooves against the floor were audible as it drew closer. She must've been in the state for inspecting the source of a chuckle. Her head hung above my head, yet again. She seemed calmer and soothed when I was below her instead of at my tall height.

Her nose blew wisps of air into my ears and I shivered from the tickle. With great audacity, I reached my hand upwards, not daring to connect my eyes with her large brown pupils. My movement was slow and reassuring, giving her an option to reject my hand. I clenched my eyes shut and awaited the shock that would hit me if she were to nip at my hand. The silence grew and I was tempted to stare at her. If I did so, I could ruin the entire moment.

That silence filling the cool night air became deafening. Soon to give up my efforts as my arm grew tired and sore from suspending it above my head, I felt a velvety nudge into my hand and a warm swish of air. Gaping, I concluded to make eye contact. Ever so slowly, I finally turned my head into a odd position so I could face the mare. She seemed as shocked as I, for her nose removed itself from my hand when I had connected my eyes to hers.

Briefly, a connection sparked inside me, but it faded as Jamie slowly retrieved to her original position in the corner of her wooden stall. Gradually ascending my way upwards I perceived I needed to get back towards the house. Slithering my way through it now seemed possible due to the previous night. Conquering such a thing seemed just in my reach.

With the note clutched tightly inside my hand, I reluctantly strolled out of the barn. Footsteps awakened me from my tired, droopy eyes and my head snapped to full attention. The servants would surely be retiring by this hour, or at least inside their quarters. Who would be stalking amongst the waves of grass at this hour?

You are right now, fool!

Of course, I was lurking past curfew at this moment.

Observing the distance from my stance and the house at the top of the hill, I bit my lip nervously. The footsteps sustained and panic developed in the depths of my stomach. Uneasily weighing my options in the uneasy quandary, I heard my heartbeat thud inside my ears. At that moment, I thought it possible for a heartbeat to be audible outside of a body, for mine was slamming itself against its cage.

Before further undecided options plundered my brain, a warning bell shrieked inside my head as the footsteps took a halt. My dress made a swishing sound as the silent night air caused it to dance noisily. There was not a moment to waste upon deciding on hiding or running. I fled, gathering my skirts and sprinting up the hill with heavy breathing. Muscles in my legs groaned and protested in sore agony with each bound. This hill was beginning to grate my nerves day by day.

Gasping as I fled up the stairs noisily, I paused to look back. A single figure stood, glaring at me with its gleaming yellow eyes. Gulping with a loud swallow, I felt my body turn numb. My hand desperately searched for the door handle while I refused to take my eyes off of the wolf standing in the field not far from myself. I silently thanked myself for shutting the barn door, for Jamie was safe inside the locked structure. I only could worry about the safety of the cranky farm donkey grazing in the far off pasture. There was no time or bravery I could muster to place her safely in the barn.