chapter fifteen. i won't die, remember?

Comenzar desde el principio

There was some commotion from the other side of the store before Glenn came back running with a handful of first aid items. "Okay, I got some gauze, band aids, neosporin, uh... and half a bottle of peroxide."

"That'll work." Jax breathed out, opening the bottle of peroxide quickly with his free hand as Ellie pushed her hand towards him, looking away while wincing.

"Okay, pouring it." He pours the whole bottle on it, wiping it away with the gauze that Glenn handed to him, worried eyes on Ellie the whole time. She groans loudly, shutting her eyes tightly.

"Here." Glenn pulls out the water from the side of Jax's bag quickly, opening it and pouring it into her mouth, her gulping loudly. He pulls away after a moment as Jax finishes up wrapping her gauze, the girl sighing in relief.

"Okay, all done." He grins, helping her up off the floor. As she gets up, her vision blurs from the lack of blood in her body, her body swaying. Jax reaches out in a millisecond, gripping her waist tightly to help her regain balance. She sighs deeply and pulls away from him a bit, giving the boy a faded smile. "Thanks."

"You're welcome." He looks into her eyes deeply, the girl looking away out of nervousness.

"I'll just get a couple things then we can go." Ellie says, swallowing slowly, her throat feeling dryer than ever.

"We'll help you." Glenn says, the two boys moving to her side.

Ellie gives them a grateful smile, nodding once. "Okay."

-

The trio were probably gone for about three hours when they got back to the camp, with limited food. There was only enough for one meal each person.

Ellie also found about two jackets in the store, one that looked like it would fit Carl and one women's jacket, maybe for Lori.

Right now, everyone sat in front of the fire as the sun went down, trying to warm themselves from the cold night.

Daryl also managed to grab the group some squirrels as they were gone, which was fortunate.

Ellie looked to Lori across from her and she saw her rubbing her small baby bump as she ate the small portion of food in her bowl. The teenager got up and moved next to her, giving her a small smile. "Here." She whispered, handing the bowl to the pregnant woman.

"No, no. You need to eat." Lori protested, pushing it back towards the girl.

Ellie just shook her head and pushed it back. "I had that can of beans. I'm full."

"Are you sure?"

"Very."

With that, Lori took the bowl out from her hands and started to instantly dig in, making Ellie smile wide.

She got up from her spot and walked over to the truck, grabbing out the jacket that she had gotten for Carl.

"Ellie." She heard the rough voice of Rick from behind her and she sighed, turning around slowly.

"Glenn told me you were bit," Rick's tone had a bit of concern in it. "Is that true?"

Ellie pulled up her jacket sleeve, showing him the white wrap over it, sighing slowly. "Yeah... I-I wasn't careful enough."

Rick exhaled sharply and then turned his head to the side, a cloud of condensation flowing out his mouth from how cold it was outside. "A-are you okay? Feeling fine?" As he stepped closer to her, she backed away farther, nodding quickly as he furrows his eyebrows, backing away. She sniffed loudly and pulls her jacket sleeve back over it.

"I'm fine, Rick." She assures him. Ellie noticed that ever since her father had died, it seemed that he was more protective over her and more affectionate than he was before. Like her father. "You don't have to do that, you know."

"Do what?"

"Act like... you care or whatever." Ellie looked down, playing with the rock from under her shoe. "I'm able to take care of myself."

"I-I do care," Rick started, furrowing his eyebrows at her. "I'm just tryin' to..."

"My dad's death wasn't your fault. It wasn't anyone's but his." She stated with a small glare in her eyes, similar to Shane's. "You don't have to feel guilty because of it, Rick. And you don't have to take care of me. I'm okay."

"Okay, I believe you."

"Let's get back to the fire. It's cold." Ellie chuckled and Rick nodded his head, the two walking back.

Once they got back, Ellie walked up to Carl, wrapping the jacket around his shoulders, to which he responded by wrapping it tighter around his body, giving her a smile in thanks. "Warmer?"

"Y-yeah," He chattered. "Thanks, El."

She gave him a small nod and then looked to Jax, who was on the other side of Carl, already looking at her.

He then looked to his father, the two staring for a moment before Jax nods once, Rick nodding back. The Grimes boy looks back at his brother, squeezing his shoulder tightly. Ellie noticed this and she looked to Rick, who caught her stare. She looks away and sighs deeply, scooting closer to Carl. "You cold?" She wraps her arm around his shoulder, pulling him closer to her as Jax sits on the other side, eyes watching her subtly as she does this. This was the moment Jax felt something stir in his stomach while looking at her. The way she's so caring and loving even after what had happened to her.

Feeling a stare at the back of her head, Ellie looks up at his brown doe eyes, smiling slightly. More butterflies erupted in his stomach as he smiles back. Ellie was the first to look back at the fire, leaning her head against Carl's.

Jax's stare lingers as he realizes for the what he felt; love.

He was in love with Eleanor Walsh.