Episode 8

Do leave inline comments, I would love to read your thoughts

Gauri's POV:

I rushed to his side, sitting next to him. He was trembling, I could see a thin layer of sweat of his forehead, his breathing becoming more rapid and shallow with every second that passed. 

Om: my....chest...hurts and...my throat...tight.

He was suffering a panic attack. Why though? Actually questions later, he needed someone to help him. 

Me: Om, we are going to get your breathing on track. I'm gonna breathe with you.

I managed to get a nod from him. 

Me: so breathe in...

We both did that.

Me: and now breathe out.

We then did that.

Me: good job. Just focus on breathing, okay? Only think of breathing. What you are feeling is scary, but it is not dangerous.

We breathed in and out again then a few more times.

Me: I'm so proud of you, you're doing a great job. Your breathing is getting back on track.

We continued breathing in and out till eventually his breathing was finally back on track.

Om: can you put the torch on your phone on please?

I nodded and did what he told me to.

Me: you feeling better? Chest pain gone? Heart no longer racing? Hot flashes or chills gone? Do you feel dizzy?

Om: no, I'm fine now. How did you know about those symptoms?

Me: when dad died, mum used to get panic attacks when she had to drive in a car. Mum was suffering from amaxophobia which is a fear of driving. 

Om: Veena aunty had panic attacks?

Me: yeah, She doesn't really like to talk about it but your mum knew about it so she would sometimes be in the car with Mum. Mum's been getting better and last year she got the confidence to drive alone. 

Om: that's good. Gauri, I am so so so so so sorry that you had to see me weak.

Me: who says that you are weak? Panic attacks don't define you. They don't make you weak. Lots of people have panic attacks but that doesn't make them weak or vulnerable. Don't be sorry that you had a panic attack. Do you want to talk about what caused it? It might take a lot of weight off you.

Om took a deep breath, he was quiet for a minute and said: I have nyctophobia, like I am really scared of the dark. I don't really drive in the night but if I do then I make sure there is light coming from the radio. When it's night time, I either keep a lamp or mess around with a touch or go on my phone. My parents don't know because I didn't tell them. Basically only I knew because technically most people with a phobia are fully aware of the problem. Prinku and Chahat don't even know not even my friends or exes. 

Me: what about your girlfriend?

Om: what girlfriend? I don't have a girlfriend.

Me: then why was Ishana in the car with you?

Om: oh Ishana, you actually thought I was back together with her?

Me: yes...why?

He started laughing when he finally stopped laughing seeing my stern face, he spoke: if there's one thing you need to know about me is that once I am out of a relationship with someone then I never get back together with them. Basically before I went to your house, Ishana's car broke down and being the nice person that I am...