Chapter 24 - Partners For Who?

**hey guys! Thank you for reading so far into this novel! I will update more chapters every Friday so be in the look for that! Also, all Fairytail characters do not be to me but to HIRO MASHIMA! I only own my characters and the story. Thank you and enjoy this chapter!**

"What?!" The blonde exclaimed. Right now, Lucy and Cana were both in the bath. Cana somehow managed to get the blonde to join her. Cana only looked down and the soapy water.

"Gildarts is your dad? How did you find out? When did you find out? How long have you kept this to yourself?" The blonde questioned the brunette.

"I've known since I was little. I joined the guild because I heard my father was at this guild. I tried to tell him so many time, but things just got in the way. I can't face him during the trials. It'd be embarrassing if I had to go up against him then tell him I'm his daughter. I'd look so weak." Cana confessed. The blonde only sat there staring at the brunette. She then had an epiphany.

"Then I'll be your partner. I'm not as strong as him, but I have gotten stronger. So please, let me be your partner and he can see that he has an amazing daughter all along." Lucy said. She grabbed Cana's hand in comfort. Cana only nodded. Lucy smiled.

A little later they exited the bath. They dried themselves off and talked on the couch a bit. Keys can be heard jiggling outside the apartment. They both looked towards the cause of the sound and waited for the person to come in.

"Luce! I'm home! Oh hey. I didn't see ya there. Oh hey Cana." Kage said as he took off his shoes. Lucy walked up to him and hugged him. The male left a kiss on her forehead. He then spoke up once more. "What were you ladies doing?"

"We were just talking. I heard you and Gray paired up for the trials. Well, guess what?" Lucy said to her partner.

"What?"

"Me and Cana are going together. So watch your back mister because you're going down." Lucy said to Kage. She had confidence in her voice that wasn't there when she first started in the guild.

"Oh is that so? Well, challenge accepted. I won't go easy on you two. We'll see who comes out victorious." Kage said before he headed to the bathroom to shower. It was quiet until the brown haired female spoke up.

"You guys are a cute couple." She said. Lucy only blushed at her words.

"Cana, are you staying the night? It's okay if you do. We'll figure something out-"

"I can sleep on the couch. You two can sleep on the bed." A deeper voice spoke out from behind them.

"Kage! You shower quick." Lucy said.

"Yeah because I don't have a foot of hair on me. Anyways, you and Cana and sleep on the bed. I can sleep on the couch. I don't mind." Kage said as he sat on the solo couch. Lucy scoffed at the man. She glared at him for a few minutes before turning back to Cana.

"You heard the man. Let's go to bed." Lucy said as she grabbed Cana up and began leading her to the bedroom. Once they went into the room, Lucy ran back down to give the man a good nights kiss on the cheek.

"Good night."

"Night." Kage said as he readied himself on the sofa. He then watched the girl disappear into the shared bedroom. He then stared at the ceiling, thinking about the future. He thinks of what it would be like, if they would still be at Fairytail, if they would even be together. Thoughts and wonders like these continue to grow from the man. One day, these could be a reality.

The next morning was full of gray clouds. The wind was picking up and it looked like it could drop water any minute now. Lucy, Kage, and Cana were halfway to the guild when a voice was heard from behind them.

"Lu-chan!" The girlish voice screamed out. All three turned around to face the bookworm of the guild.

"Oh Levy-chan! Good morning! What's up?" Lucy asked the girl. The blue haired girl caught up with the three as caught her breath.

"I was wondering if you wanted to be my partner for the trials." Levy spoke. Lucy had a look of sorry.

"Sorry, but Cana already asked me and I accepted." Lucy explained. Levy widened her eyes and a smiled came up to her face.

"Then it's settled. I'm taking you two down with my partner. Of course, I have to have one. But we will. And I heard Gray chose you, Kage, as his partner. So I'll actually be taking you four down." Levy said with most confidence in her voice. They all laughed and walked together to the guild hall. They busted the doors open and greeted the members of the guild. Lucy and Kage sat at the bar talking. Levy and Cana day at different booths doing different things.

Kage and Lucy chatted about what they could do after the trials. Then, the man sat up and pardoned himself to do some business. He left Lucy alone for only a while. However during this time, Lucy found herself some other conversation.

"Luce! I want you to be my partner for the trials!" A voice called out. Lucy turned her direction to meet the pink haired fire mage. She had the same sorry face as she did to her blue haired friend and spoke.

"Sorry, Natsu. But I already accepted someone else's invitation. Cana beat you to it. Sorry." She said uninterested. Natsu only held a face of sorrow.

"Can't you switch?" He said. The response shocked the girl and made her pause for a moment. She put her head down.

"I'm sorry, but I won't do such things." She faced her way back to the counter. Natsu took this as a final answer and turned away from the girl. He started walking to the doors and screamed for the blur cat.

"Happy I'm going!" He shouted. His leave made a known thing for the guild. This wasn't anything knew though. Since the pair came back, this happened many times. But Natsu would never get use to the hurt feeling whenever he got rejected.

They would never get used to this feeling. None of them. Change is evident. Change is inevitable.