The Graveyard

(Y/N POV)

Here Alexander had led us, to the grave of an individual that I could not recall.

Yet.

It was nothing much: just two sticks tied neatly together by two thin pieces of rope. A bouquet of dead flowers were left to the side, untouched. Just the sight of them filled me with grief; it was obvious that many still loved this person, although they were not fortunate enough to afford a stone grave. They were secreted, and it only made me wonder what connection I had with them. This couldn't be John Laurens...

"He admired you very much," Alexander confessed. "We were told that his final words spoke of you, should you remember it."
I shook my head. "Who is this?" There was no obvious name engraved, like all of the others.
"His name was Charles Fernández. You met at the Dame school downtown back in 1776, the year that you first got here. He passed later in 1781, not long before the war ended." He sighed, staring at the ground where Charles' remains rested. "He was courting you, with the intention of marriage some day."

I thought back. Charles Fernández... A foreign surname, I was sure. With as much intensity as one could muster, I scanned through my recollection of my past life, when suddenly, I was reminded of a figure. I vaguely remembered a burn scar to the right side of their neck, their scruffy, darkened hair, a slight hint of a... foreign accent...

"Did he, by any chance, have a scar on his neck?" I asked.
"I remember someone who looked like that, too." Emily mumbled. She had not muttered a word for at least half of an hour - which seemed to be her new record - so hearing sound from her was a pleasant surprise. "We were... at a place, where all the ships are kept."
"When Thomas Jefferson was leaving for France-" I widened my eyes; Emily's memory had suddenly triggered mine.

In response to this, Alexander grinned with glee. "So you remember your past experiences by revolving around things that have some sort of symbolism towards them..." he contemplated.
"Then the boy with the scar was Charles?"
"Indeed it was." Alexander confirmed. "He was an orphan, alike myself, and he came here from Spain with his sister."
"...Valentino..." I recalled.

"What about John Laurens?" Emily enquired, poking her head around to meet Alexander's eyes. "Before you mentioned a John Laurens."
He knelt down and took Emily's right hand into his own, sheltering it. "John was by far the bravest man that I have ever known. He gave up his life in your honour. It may have been a foolish act, but he was committed to it. For you."
"By saving that woman?"
He nodded, drawing his eyes away, haunted with grief.

"It makes me wonder now what would of happened had they have lived." He picked a small flower that had miraculously grown from the ground and placed it on to Charles' grave. "Perhaps it was best that they passed when they did."

Before I could question it, we were interrupted by a voice of a man.

"Ah, Alexander!" I flung myself around, discerning none other than Aaron Burr heading our way. My mind failed to tell me if we had met before, although, with his close connection to Alexander, I assumed that I had. Nevertheless, I cowered behind him. Burr could not recognise me.

"Aaron Burr, Sir!" Alexander responded. He folded his arms. "What brings you here?"
"Oh, I'm just visiting," Burr admitted. "I never thought I'd see you here."
"Yes, well... We were just leaving, in fact!" Thankfully, Alexander appeared to have the same idea. Emily scurried around next to me.

"Oh?" Burr glanced in my direction, though I avoided all eye contact with him. "And who are these fine young ladies?"
Alexander stumbled on his words for a moment. "These are my daughters!"
Burr raised his brow. "They seem much too old to be your daughters."
"Right, right! Silly old me forgetting things!" He slapped his forehead and chuckled, though Burr was not the slightest bit amused. He was more concerned for Alexander's mental well-being. "My daughters are at home! These are my... my nieces!"

Great job, Alex.

By some remarkable chance, Burr's mouth formed into a smirk. "Ah yes, the resemblance to Miss Sophie is uncanny!" he exclaimed.

Ah, yes.

"Speaking of her, how is she doing these days? I have not seen her for some time."
"She's good!" Alexander spoke in a higher-pitched voice. "Actually, she recently departed to London with Emily!"
Emily squinted her eyes at him.
"Oh! When do you suppose that she will be returning? It would be a pleasure to converse with her once more!"

He had clearly not been keeping up with his news.

"S- Soon, I hope." stuttered Alexander, now desperate to escape. "I'll... keep you informed."
Burr looked to me again, then to Emily. "Well, I pray that you all have an enjoyable day!"
"Alright, thanks, Burr." Alexander hurried Emily and I along by grasping our shoulders. I was careful not to trip over my dress, as he was moving so quickly.

He released us once we had left the graveyard, leaning against a fence as though he had just ran a marathon. "How are we going to survive this..." he panted.

I myself did not know. We couldn't keep this a secret forever. Burr's encounter was too close; he immediately recognised my similarities or 'Sophie'. More were bound to find out. Not only did it put me at great risk, but it also put Emily's life on the line.

With the word bound to spread, the Hamiltons were in danger.

"We need to act quick." I stated. "Luckily for us, Mr Burr hadn't read the news..."
"But what if he had?" Alexander theorized. "What if he is secreting this information to use against me? I'll be ruined." He clutched the sides of his head. "My wife and my children..."

"If all of this is so dangerous then why don't we go somewhere else?" Emily questioned.
"I don't think it's as simple as that." I answered her query.
Alexander's breath was evidently held for at least a dozen seconds. He then proceeded to gradually raise the corner of his mouth. "I might know just the thing."

~~~~~~~~~~

So my sister watched Hamilton for the first time the other night,

And I would just like to share with y'all some of the highlights.

Enjoy.

~

"So is he off to sort America out?"

"So is the King the dad of the three girls?"

"So is the guy in England Winston Churchill?"

Beatboxes during Satisfied.

Looks at Washington. "He reminds me of Mr Potato head. Like I don't know if it's the shiny forehead but he looks like a potato. A wrinkly potato."

During Dear Theodosia. "I thought he was going to start singing Somwhere Over The Rainbow then."

During Angelica's part in Non-Stop. "You've got the wrong husband!!"
"...That's her brother-in-law."

Looks at Jefferson. "Is that Michael Jackson?"

During Take A Break. "Go on, lick her nose!" (For clarification, she said this during Alex's and Eliza's exchange after Philip's rap)

Constantly repeating "No" throughout Stay Alive (Reprise).

"What happened to the third sister?"
"Oh, she died."
"What, I didn't catch that! One minute, they were fighting the British, and then... I don't even know, my brain's just-"

When Alexander comes out in WLWDWTYS. "Oh, he's alive!!"
"No, she's dead."
"...But she didn't get shot!"
"...You don't need to get shot to die."