Our Last Good Moment

(Y/N POV)

An hour had passed, the hour it had taken to calm Emily. Philip had knocked at the door earlier to check that we were alright, having heard the screams. I reassured him and, just as I had with Frances and Angelica, sent him downstairs to Alexander and Eliza.

Additionally within that hour came the arrival of Marquis de Lafayette. I did not entirely wish to greet him for I didn't know how to act. He was a friend that I had initially forgotten about, a man that I only knew from a musical. I couldn't consider him a friend now. He was quite simply the friend of Alexander, nothing more than that. It pained me.

Emily didn't like books, so I could not provide her with one to read. I didn't have to ask and already knew from her nature that she would not come down to meet him, thus giving her her phone. We found surprisingly that we still had them stored in our school blazers and that they had not been removed in the events of undressing us into more comfortable clothing back in London. I wanted to thank thank, but of course, he would not understand.

The phones didn't work all too well. Obviously, there was no signal, let alone Wi-Fi, so all we had were games that we'd downloaded before coming here. We'd kept the brightness of our screens on the lowest setting to ensure that the battery would not deteriorate as quickly. Besides, we had no way to charge them, so as soon as they were dead, they could never turn back on. This seemed like a dire moment, however, and I wanted to give Emily some form of simple entertainment, even if it was an awful Tetris game I downloaded just to try it out.

Just as I was about to make a turn downstairs, I recognised Junior sat with his arms folded at the very stop of the staircase.

'What's wrong?' I came and sat beside him.

'Why is there a Frenchman here?' he asked innocently. 'I thought we were going to go and see the fireworks.'

I smiled. 'We're still going to see the fireworks, it's just that he may be coming with us.'

'But why? I don't want him there.'

'You're not scared of him, are you?'

'No!' he exclaimed at my remark.

I laughed and wrapped my arms around him. For once, he put his hands upon mine.

'They were talking about you,' he admitted. 'I think he wants to see you.'

'Does he now?' I grumbled. Fantastic, he probably knew. 'I suppose I'll go and see him, then.'

I planted a kiss on his head and strolled halfway down the stairs before noticing that he hadn't budged. 'Aren't you coming?' 

He shook his head. 'I'll wait for James to wake up.'

As much as Junior expressed utter hatred for his little brother, there was no doubting that he loved him. I continued in and took a deep breath outside of the closed door to the sitting room. I didn't know what he would say, but I didn't expect it to comfort me in any way. I turned the handle and made my entrance.

'Y/N, my dear!' Alexander proclaimed. He stood to his feet, along with the man himself. 'May I present to you Monsieur Lafayette,' he said in a sing-song voice.

Eliza was the only other person present, giving me the assumption that Philip, Frances and Angelica were in the playroom. Betsey and Bonnie were, most likely, locked outside in the garden. I came up to Lafayette who could not stop staring. His eyes conveyed a mixture of shock and fascination.

'Madmoiselle.' Lafayette bowed at last and a smirk arose. 'It has been a while.'

'...Has it?' I murmured.