The Incursion

Hi, it's Starlight. I would like to quickly say that I have decided to leave these here at the start of every chapter from now. I understand that it's probably very confusing (it is for myself, too), so this'll be here for reference:

- Eleanor Parke Custis - Martha's granddaughter - Aged 11
- George Washington Parke Custis - Martha's grandson - Aged 9
- Frances Bassett Washington - Martha's niece - Aged 23
- George Augustine Washington - Frances' husband - Aged 26/27
- Anna Maria Washington - George and Frances' daughter - Aged 2
- George Fayette Washington - George and Frances' son - Aged 8 months

Anyway here's Naps, ciao.

~

Hi; this is Naps! Just a quick reminder that writing duties are being passed over largely to myself, so hence each new chapter will begin with a declaration of who wrote it; in the case of this chapter, the beginning was written by the marvellous Starlight some months ago and the remainder was produced by myself. I know for a fact that Starlight will be composing at least another chapter in the future that you can all be looking forward to. I hope all of you have a dazzling day!! – Naps

~~~~~~~~~~

Author(s): Starlight & Naps

(Y/N POV)

'BURN THE WITCHES!' 

'MAKE THEM SUFFER!' 

'Y/N -'

I slammed the window shut to spare Emily further panic, and I turned to Caroline. Her mouth was agape and she fled from the room, calling out hurriedly for the Washingtons. I drew the curtains inwards; I couldn't risk them spotting us. The urge to keep watch to ensure Emily's security was high, yes, but I couldn't disturb her from any facial reactions that I was bound to make.

She sat herself down on the bed, her chest visibly rising and falling as though it were the tide of the river. 'Oh God - they're going to kill us -'

As the crowd neared, the noise became louder, making Emily cover her ears.

'We're going to die -'

'Stop it, we won't.' 

'Good Lord -!' I turned to find Eleanor at the doorway. She scuttled past me and immediately opened the curtains again, much to my irritability. 'They are coming for you!'

'You're not helping,' I growled at her incompetence. I motioned towards Emily, now rocking back and forth to soothe herself. 

Eleanor shrugged. 'Perhaps it would be better off if they did. Listen to them - you are witches, I know of it, and we would be safe if not for you.'

'Safe?!' - I scowled at her - 'You really think we are a threat?!' 

'Clearly when there is a furious mob coming for your heads!' 

'What do you even know of us?!' 

'I know that you are witches! It is no coincidence that your menace sister partakes in rowing with my grandfather! She has a thirst for his blood, to drown him in the waters to regain power! I am not naïve, like them, or like anyone else in this home! I see through the both of you, and I know what you want. You made pacts with the Devil himself, and this is the price you will pay! A pavement back to Hell -!'

'Oh shut up, you stupid little bitch!' said Emily spontaneously between sobs.

'Emily -' 

'I'm the “stupid bitch”? I'll show you a bitch -' 

I dived in front of Eleanor as she lunged at Emily. She made attempts to scratch at my face - even gnaw at it - but I sent her plummeting back into the wall with a single push. I myself was surprised with my sudden fighting spirit. And just as she thrust herself forward into a second round, Martha hurled herself through the door and latched her hands onto her granddaughter's arms. 

'Eleanor, this is no time!' urged Martha.

'But she -!' 

'No, you all need to take hiding, at once!' 

I stepped forward. 'What about the mob?'

'We will resolve it; for now, the safety of the two of you is our priority.'

Eleanor snarled.

I rotated my head back to Emily, sat as lifeless as the diminishing sun. 'Come on -'

~

We rushed into one of the many bedchambers – one which sat beside the front entrance – and I beckoned Emily to take cover somewhere; I couldn’t bring myself to say anything because I feared she would become more frightened if I did so. Alas, she refused to hide and instead stood gingerly glancing at the mob from the window. Pitch forks and fire filled the horde, two matters which reminded me of the fragility of both myself and Emily. One carefully positioned pitchfork and-

Eventually I managed to collect Emily under the table, resting inert. As for myself – though I wished dearly to give her the comfort of my company – I stood provisionally, milometers from the door. From behind it, I could hear the calls of Washington. I couldn’t quite make out the terms which were being discussed, but the general tone said quite enough. It didn’t take much eavesdropping for vague memories to reactivate within me; I had heard this all before. Washington was preparing for war.

‘Y/N…’ Emily whispered, causing my body to flinch into the door, echoing a thump throughout the building. I swiftly turned to my sister, upon reverting from this, and crawled my way under the table. ‘Y/N, will we go back home if we die?’ She asked eagerly as my eyes met hers; there were clear glimmers in them as if to say that she had hope. Regrettably, I knew her faith was baseless. A quick evaluation of the situation revealed all the knowledge I required: we were indeed going to die. And – without any evidence to prove otherwise – I anticipated that our deaths would be final, as one would come to expect. While we were born in a future unlike the reality that surrounds us, that is not to immediately rule out our lives ending here. In other words, it was my assessment that death, here in Mount Vernon, would mean no more Y/N and Emily. Death is death and death is final. I could tell in Emily’s frown that my pause had loosened her faith even further, so – quickly – I racked my brain for hope and, though there was none left, I managed to give her something to go on.

‘We survived the trial, didn’t we?’ I summarised. ‘When all was lost, we pulled through; I know that we can do it again.’

She faked a smile.

‘But, come on, Emily: we can’t go risking ourselves for a theory that could end our lives!’

She frowned and turned away. ‘We’re gonna die anyway…’ She hissed under her breath, turning away and curling herself up into a ball. Oh, Emily. With a time constraint placed on my life, I decided the best protocol would be to return to my stance at the door. After all, why wait in fear? Hence, I swayed my way carefully over to my previous position and where I could hear something clearly.

‘Sir, he has approached as requested,’ the voice of a servant announced, ‘shall I let him in?’

My brain immediately began to gather into a dizzying fury of confusion. Who exactly was being referred to in this instance? Had somebody blundered? Or – perhaps – had Washington, who had been mentoring and protecting us, placed Emily and I in harm’s way? Had he betrayed us? My questions were quickly summarised with one answer.

‘Tell him to meet me inside,' Washington commanded.

And with that I had no shadow of a doubt that we were about to be mutilated by whomever Washington was allowing to enter his home. Had this always been his plan? I took a worried glance at Emily but – mercifully – she was unaware of Washington’s betrayal. I soon found myself on the floor, continuing to listen, helpless. Maybe death would come sweep me away before my killer could.