Chapter 7: Breakfast

There was this nice breakfast place near my house which I used to go to with my dad back when I was young and he wasn't so busy. I hadn't been there in years but when I stepped inside I was overwhelmed by the familiar warmth and smell of pancakes and bacon cooking on the back griddle. We were greeted by a short yet perky girl with brown braids who led us to our table all the while giving me strange looks as I was still holding both Sheldons and Rats hands. I let go of Rat but Sheldon held on tight so I was forced to walk with him and slide him into the booth next to me.

"What is this place?" Carl asked as he sat across from me. Rat slid in next to him.

"Its a dining hall for humans." Rat stated.

"Do you come here often?" Carl asked me and I shook my head as I handed him a menu. He took the lamented paper and stared at it for a second before handing it back to me. "What am I supposed to do with this?" He asked.

"Its a menu. You pick what you want on it."

"You mean like human food?"

"Yes. Human food."

He stared at me blankly and slowly realization dawned on me. Rat had completely raided our fridge and Sheldon had been snaking on nothing but pet food but I hadn't seen Carl eat anything.

"Are you perhaps scared of human food?" I asked him and he frowned at me.

"No." He said as he pointed at a picture on the menu "Im fine. I'll take this thing with the fluffy stuff."

"Those are eggs." Rat said and Carl looked at him like he was nuts.

"No." He said. "Eggs are little round things. These aren't eggs."

"They're scrambled."

"Thats gross."

"Ill just order for you." I said with a sigh as the girl came back over. "Four pancakes please. Thank you." I said as I folded up the menus and handed them back to her.

"Whats a pancake?" Carl asked and Rat answered.

"Food."

"I realize that but what is it?"

"Good food."

Carl stared at him for a second as I could tell he was getting slightly annoyed. I couldn't help but smile to myself at their amusing antics as the waitress came back around with our food but this time she lingered.

"Do you perhaps go to the school near here?" She asked and I nodded slowly. "I think we are in the same class. You are the animal girl, right?" I bit my tongue for a second as I wondered how I should answer.

"I guess I am." I said softly as Carl stared down at his plate of pancakes, completely oblivious to our conversation.

"So your house...is like...full of animals...right?" She muttered

"Yes..."

"do you have snakes?"

"Snakes?"

"Yes snakes. Do you have any?"

"Not at the moment." I asnwered and the girl seemed suddenly disheartened. "Do you like snakes?" I asked her and she suddenly perked up and nodded as she pulled out her phone and showed me her wallpaper which was a small brown snake.

"I like their boop noses." She said.

"Boop?" I asked.

"Yes. Their little snake snouts." She said and I looked at her for a second in confusion before she shrugged it off. "Sorry. I must seem weird. Sorry for bothering you." And she quickly went away and I looked back at the boys who hadn't touched their food.

"I don't like snakes." Rat stated. "Lizards are fine but I dint like snakes."

"Snakes often eat rodents." I said and I could see him shiver.

"So this is a pancake?" Carl asked and I looked over at him where he was staring antis food as if he expected at any moment for it to get up and move. I made an example out of pouring the maple syrup over the fluffy cakes and cutting it with my fork before taking a bite. Sheldon and Rat followed my example although Rat looked like he would have much preferred to just pick it up with his hands. For a second Carl sat there, stone faced, as he judged everyone else's reaction to the food. Finally he picked up his fork and knife and awkwardly cut off the smallest bite before quickly plopping it in his mouth. I could tell he was forcing himself to chew and after a minute he put the fork down, leaned back in his seat, and swallowed.

"How is it?" I asked him and he paused.

"Decent." He said as he sat back up and took another bite. He was the first to finish his plate and as we were packing up to go he seemed pretty content.

"Pancakes aren't bad." Carl stated as he followed Rat to the door. I followed along with Sheldon but stopped by the host table when I saw our waitress standing there.
"Whats your name?" I asked her.

"Lily." She answered shortly.

"Im Y/n." I stated shyly as I tried to think of something else to say.

"Sorry if I came off a little weird." She said.

"You're not weird." I told her. "Everyone is allowed to have their own interests."

"Thanks. I'll see you at school on Monday." And with that she hurried off to help another table and I left with the boys to go outside.

"Why are you smiling?" Carl asked me when we exited the store.

"I think I just made a friend."