Chapter 5: My Friend Missy

We got home and I walked inside and all the couches and chairs had been flipped over to create a little fort in the center of the room.

"Sheldon?" I called out for him and there was a rustle from the fort and then his little head stuck out and looked up at me.

"They left me all alone!" He cried when he saw me.

"You wouldn't come with us." Carl argued.

"Y/n said stay put so I stayed put."
"Im glad at least one person listens to me." I groaned while Sheldon cast a triumphant look at the others before trying to duck back into his fort. I grabbed him by the shoulder. "Get out of there." I told him as I pulled him out. "We have to put all this stuff back where it was before my dad gets home.

"But this is my home!" Said Sheldon. "I built it myself!" He looked up at em with pleading eyes. Sheldon the turtle had a little cave in his tank that he always hid in when I wasn't around or when someone he didn't know came in. Out in the open here with all these people he must've felt scared.

"How about this instead?" I said as I grabbed one of the clothes bags from Carl and pulled out the oversized scarf I had bought. It was a dark blue color an very soft to the touch. I wrapped it around Sheldons neck and he sort of just nestled into it as he stared at me with a perplexed look.

"This instead of the house?" He asked.

"Yes." I answered. "And when you are scared you can pull it up like this." I pulled the scarf up over his head so it covered his eyes. He remained still for a second and I worried maybe it wasn't good enough and then he pulled the scarf down and looked at me with a small pink blush on his cheeks.

"This is for me?" He asked.

"Yes."

"I get to keep this?"

"Yes."

"You got it just for me?"

"Yes. Just for you." He paused for a minute and then smiled brightly as he sat on the floor, pulled the scarf up over his eyes, and then just sat there perfectly still. I looked over at the other two boys and sighed as I took the bags from them, handed them the clothes and instructed them to go change. I couldn't have my dad come home and see a bunch of strangers wearing his clothes. While they got dressed I attempted to move some of the furniture back but it was surprisingly heavy. The chairs I was fine with but the couches and coffee table I couldn't budge.

"How did you move this?" I asked Sheldon who pulled down the scarf and walked over.
"Its not that hard." He said as he lifted the coffee table with ease and put it back. He then flipped over couch and sat down on it as if moving that giant thing was the easiest thing in the world. I stared at him for a second in awe and then sat next to him.

"Can I see your arms?" I asked him and he immediately stuck them out for me without further questions. I rolled back the sleeves and felt the muscles. Sheldons arms weren't thick or defined but there was definitely some hard muscle under his skin. I poked and prodded at them until Sheldon became red in the face and pulled them back. He then yanked up the scarf again and tried to leave the room.

"Wait." I said as I grabbed him by the sleeve and handed him some of the clothes I bought. "Put these on. You can use my room." He stood still for a moment and then nodded as he took the clothes and left just as I heard the clink of keys in the front door.

"oh no." I muttered to myself as the front door opened and my dad walked in. On one arm he had his briefcase and on the other he was carrying an animal carrier with a small towel draped over it.

"Where are your friends?" He asked as he sat down the carrier and his bag. I heard something move inside. "You said you were having some friends stay over."

"They are just changing." I told him. "We went shopping this afternoon."

My dad beamed at me as he yawned heavily and went to the kitchen for some tea.

"What's in the carrier?" I asked him and he smiled at me.

"Its not permanent." He said.

"What do you mean?"

"We will just be looking after it for a few days, a week at the most."

Now I was curious so I went over to the carrier and lifted up the towel. Inside was a small tabby cat with a bent ear and a crooked lip.

"She belongs to a coworker." My dad said. "I promised I would look after her this week while she is out of town visiting her father." I looked at the cat and instantly got a bad feeling. Just then I heard the hall door open behind me and in walked Rat wearing a pair of blue jeans and a black and white striped t-shirt. Rat stopped short in the room and sniffed the air before looking down at the carrier. The cat and him made eye contact. There was a few seconds of silence and then the cat hissed and Rat bolted back into the room. I turned to my dad and laughed nervously.

"Was that your friend?" He asked.

"Yes." I mumbled. "I guess he's a bit scared of cats."

"Thats too bad." He said. "I guess I'll keep Missy here in my room."

"I would appreciate that."

We then heard voices down the hall.
"What are you so scared of?" Carl asked Rat as he turned into the room. Rat was trailing behind afraid to enter. Carl walked in, saw the cat, and instantly went pale.

"Not you too!?"

"S-sorry." He muttered as he slowly stepped behind me and out of direct sight of the feline. My dad tried to introduce himself but Carl was absolutely speechless as he just stood there pale faced.

"I guess I'll take Missy to my room now." My dad said as he picked up the carrier and left.

"Im so sorry." Carl said when he was gone. "I don't know what came over me."

"Just try to act normal if you can." I begged him as my dad rejoined the room. I introduced him to Rat and Carl but Sheldon was still hiding out in my room and wouldn't come out so I told him he was napping and he left them at that. Now a normal father would probably worry about these young teenage boys spending the night in the same house and being alone all day with his young teenage daughter but if my dad was worried he didn't left it show as he laughed and joked with them and marveled them with adventurous storied about his travels and work experience. All in all it was a pretty good night.