Chapter 8: School

"What do you mean you're leaving?" Carl asked as he tapped his foot on the floor impatiently.

"I have to go to school tomorrow." I stated.

"But why?"

"Cause it's the law."

"Whats the law?" I paused as I realized there was no way of explaining this.

"Look I'll only be gone about seven hours and ill be home around three. You can handle being by yourself for that long."

"What if we run out of food?" Rat asked from where he sat on the couch halfway through a bag of chips. How on earth was he still so skinny after eating so much junk.

"You won't run out of food. We have plenty of food." I told him.

"So we'll be alone all day?" Sheldon asked. He was laid out on the floor with a large wool blanket over him. He had a book in his hand and had been silently turning the pages and I couldn't help but wonder why since I was almost certain he could t actually read.

"You'll have each other." I said and he shivered at the thought.

"I don't want to hang out with a bunch of gross guys! I want to hang out with you!" Carl argued.

"Well you can't." I said shortly as I patted him on the shoulder and headed for my room. I stopped and turned around in the doorway. "I'll be leaving for school first thing in the morning and ill be back by tomorrow afternoon. It won't be too long so don't try to get in my way!" And then I shut the door on them.

That next morning I got dressed in my room and started heading for school but when I tried to leave my bedroom door jammed. The knob still turned and it wasn't locked so I pushed on it harder and eventually it slid open slowly. It felt like I was pushing on something heavy and when I peaked out I saw that a few chairs and large couch pillows had been pushed up against the door. I huffed and climbed over them. I was guessing either Rat or Carl did this since I knew Sheldon was strong enough to lift and move the whole couch and that would have most definitely kept me inside but maybe he just wasn't that smart. I walked out into the kitchen where my dad was drinking coffee.

"Did you see what your friends did?" He asked with a small chuckle. "Such a weird bunch of boys."

"You don't find their behavior odd at all?" I asked as I was seriously considering the sanctity of my fathers mental state.
"I remember when I was their age and I was always pulling tricks. I often got in trouble."

I sat down at the table momentarily and took notice that my dad had a small box with him with small holes cut in the side.

"What did you bring him this time?" I asked as he smiled and pulled out a small terrarium from inside the box. Inside the terrarium was a small snake. It was orange and thin with yellow spots and here and there.

"Its a corn snake." My dad said.

"And why do we have this corn snake?" I asked.

"I thought it looked cool." He answered and I glared at him.

"We have too many pets." I said with a sigh. "You can't just keep bringing home every little thing that gets dropped in your hands."

"Its only temporary. I'll find a home for it. Corn snakes are friendly and easy to take care of which makes them great pets."

"Just find a home for it soon." I said as I heard movement in the guest bedroom. I didn't want to deal with any of the boys trying to stop me from leaving so, quietly as possible, I grabbed my bag and left the house, making sure to lock the door behind me. Was it just me or was the walk a bit more brighter than usual. Were the birds a bit chirpier and trees just a little more green. I pushed it aside as a trick of the eye and headed into the school building where I immediately caught sight of that girl Lily by my classroom door talking to one of her friends. Her brown hair was loose and wavy and she was wearing a modest amount of makeup that highlighted her bright eyes. She caught sight of me and waved slightly and I was caught off guard as I stood petrified for a second before waving back. She left her friend to come walk up to me.

"Good morning." She said in a chipper voice that told me she was definitely a morning person.
"Hello." I answered shortly which was then followed by a long silence as we both just stared at each other until suddenly a thought struck me. "Hey you like snakes right?" I asked and she nodded. "MY dad brought this corn snake home and we're trying to find someone to take care of it. They are apparently pretty easy to care for. Would you be interested?" There was a pause as Lily just stared at me blankly and I wondered if I had asked too much but then her lips slowly crept into a smile and she beamed at me.

"Really?!" She asked. "I can have it!?"

"Only if you want."

"Yes. Yes. Yes. Of course I want it! Can we go get it now?"

"How about you come by my house later after school and you can see it first."

"Ok. Ok. I'll meet you by the back entrance after school and we can walk together. Oh god I can't wait!"
"Please calm down."

"Oh! Sorry." She steadily lowered her voice as she waved me good bye and left to go to her seat. I followed to my own seat before stopping to think why on earth I invited a stranger to my house when I have three wild boys running around the place. I just had to hope that Rat, Carl, and Sheldon would be well behaved and that Lily would be oblivious enough to not notice how abnormal they really were.