Chapter 1: Home Zoo

Its a cool afternoon and I am sitting by my window basking in the last few rays of sunlight. The sky is a pinkish orange as the clouds seem to be painted with violet hues. My homework is sitting on my lap untouched and at my feet is my beloved pet Sheldon. Sheldon is a common box turtle and he is just one of many exotic creatures that inhabit my small house. At the back of the room I can hear the soft gurgle of the fishtanks and every now and then I can hear the flutter of wings from the bird cage in the hall.

While watching the sky I nibble on the edge of my pencil as Sheldon very slowly nudges my feet, biting at my shoelaces every now and then. I go to pick him up and he immediately recoils into his shell. Sheldon is very very shy and is startled by even the slightest movement. Moving slowly I grab a piece of lettuce from the feed bowl by the window and place it next to his shell. It takes a few seconds but eventually his small head peeks out and he grabs it just as the door to my room slowly opens and in walks my dad. My dad is an older fellow with silver hair and a bushy beard. He goes by the name of Herb and he works in a small zoo on the north end of town, hence our house's vast array of animals. He mostly only wears cargo shorts and a pollo tee and never gives a damn about what his face and hair looks like but today he is well dressed and his bushy hair and beard are combed and his face is washed.

"Where are you going?" I ask him and he smiles widely with his dimples showing. Herb reminds me a bit of Santa.

"I have a date." He says confidently.

"With a human?"

"Yes."

"A woman?"
"Yes."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes. Is there something wrong with that?"

"Nope." I mutter as I look back out the window where the sky is slowly growing dark.

"While i'm gone how about you invite some friends over so you won't be lonely." He suggests.
"I have Sheldon." I tell him. "And Carl." I point at my large comet goldfish in the tank across the room.

"Human companionship is much more preferred." He says and I nod slowly in agreement as I pick up my phone.
"I'll call someone." I tell him and he agrees before saying good bye and leaving. I watch his car drive away from my window. He waves at me from his drivers window and I wave back while putting the phone to my ear. The second he is gone though I drop it and shove the device back in my bed stand drawer where it belongs. I am scared to tell my dad but the truth is I have no friends. No one at school likes me. They think I'm weird since I spend my free time playing with reptiles, rodents, and bugs. I can't help the way I am or how I was raised but sometimes I do wonder what it would be like to have friends. What it would be like to have people besides my dad that cared about me.

That next day at school I am sitting alone at lunch when I am approached by a boy I didn't recognize. He had sandy blonde hair and glasses with high cheek bones and a nose that turned up slightly giving him a mouse like appearance. He came over to my desk and put down a small cardboard box with a couple holes poked in the side.

"You're the weird girl, right?" He asked me.

"What?" I asked.

"The weird animal girl? Thats you, right?" I slowly nodded and he pushed the box towards me. "My dad found this under the shed and since my mom didn't want us to kill it Im giving it to you."

I take the box and open it half expecting for this to be some terrible prank where cockroaches fly out. Instead I find a large black rat with a twisted tail. Its fur was black on the top and light on the bottom and it had pink ears, a pink nose, and inquisitive dark eyes. I close the lid of the box before the rat can jump out although I don't think that's its intention. The rat itself seems lethargic and barely move.

"Thanks..." I say quietly.
"Does that mean you'll take it?" The boy asks and I nod slowly as the guy turns and leaves. I text my dad that I am bringing something home and grab my stuff to head home early and as I leave I can hear my classmates whisper behind my back.
"I can't believe she took it."

"Its so gross looking."
"She's going to end up spreading diseases."

I brush it off and ignore it as I quickly leave campus before a teacher or faculty member spots me.

When I get home I unlock the front door to a commotion of noise as all the animals greet me. I quickly shut the door behind me, put my bag on the floor, and carry the card board box to the kitchen table. My dad isn't home yet and won't be for quite a few hours because of work so I do what I can for now. I get a big cage out of the garage and fill it with hay for the rat. I also put in a dish full of water and one full of unsweetened applesauce which I thought would be easy to digest. I put the rat in the cage and then drape a towel over the whole thing to blanket it under darkness and muffle the noises of the other animals. I then leave it alone and retreat to my room.

"Maybe I shouldn't have done that." I muttered to myself as I took Sheldon out of his cage and placed him on the desk before sitting down. "They must think I'm really weird." Slowly I laid my head down on the desk and peered at the turtle. Its small eyes stared directly at my own in a way that made me feel less lonely. It was almost like Sheldon understood what I was saying and was sympathizing with me. "I wish I was normal." I said aloud and then quickly withdrew it and exchanged it with a separate wish. "I wish I had friends."

Next moment I opened my eyes the light in the room seemed different. It was still daytime but it was much later in the afternoon. I sat up and looked down at my desk and immediately noticed that Sheldon was gone. I began picking up books and looking under things before scouring the floor in the off chance that he had fallen. Then I heard a noise in the living room. I turned to follow it and as I passed I notice my fish tank was empty. Where was Carl? I stepped out of my room and immediately almost tripped over a mound on the floor. It was a large mound covered in the blanket from my bed. I went to pick it up and look underneath and as I did so I gasped and then I immediately put it back. There was a young man laying on the floor under my blanket and he was completely nude.