xxiii - 𝘪𝘯𝘥𝘶𝘭𝘨𝘦

Start from the beginning

"Is everything alright?" she asked, her fingers resting on the side of the door whilst she smiled nervously at the Blinder stood before her.

Once again, Tommy's face was the perfect mask for concealing the thoughts going on his mind – his earlier troubles regarding feelings surrounding Verity flew back like a flock of starving seagulls at a seaside town. She looked stunning in that pink floor length gown, the material hugging her figure in classical and beautiful fashion. She was so effortlessly radiant, with her shiny hair and her cherub-like features, a singer starlet right before his eyes who could crush his heart in an instant if she wanted to. He wondered if she knew that...

"Everyone's arriving now, if you're ready to come down." He said, stepping aside. Verity knew by everyone he meant 'important family' considering there were already guests here, she could hear their booming laughter and even louder conversation.

"Of course." She smiled politely in agreement, stepping out onto the landing as the two walked side by side towards the grand staircase.

The walk felt like the longest in history, as the pair made their way to the summit of the stairs – glowing softly with the lights below.

"You look lovely, by the way." He said, in that oh so casual tone that made Verity smile.

"Thank you, Thomas," she replied, as he held out his hand to accompany her down the stairs in a gentlemanly fashion. "I'd say you do too, but you always look nice." She teased, it was true – she knew every day of the week the man was impeccably dressed in bespoke suits. The remark seemed to of amused Tommy too, who hid a secret smirk as they made their way downstairs.

"Wow! Verity looks like a princess!" Charlie shouted up as his father and the angel that was Verity reached the bottom of the stairs. The young boy was currently holding Scarlett's hand, having embellished her too with many compliments that she looked like a princess.

"Then you are the handsome prince

"Then you are the handsome prince." Verity smiled as she crouched down so she was eye level with the young boy. "Do you like the ballroom Charlie?" she asked for her own affirmation, she so hoped this day was everything for him.

There were no hesitations from the Shelby child, as he squealed excitedly and gripped onto Verity's hands tightly.

"I love it!" he jeered, looking as sweet as ever in his smart black suit.

Before she could say much more to Charlie, Verity heard footsteps across the hall floor and she turned to their direction. Immediately met with four faces she'd never seen before.

"Aunty Polly!" Charlie raced away from Verity like a blinkered horse in a blind panic, rushing towards the woman with clustered dark curls. She was fairly old, her face seemed hardened in some way – like a woman who had seen some things and dealt with some awful shit. Not that that would surprise Verity considering she clearly was a relation.