xv - 𝘢𝘧𝘧𝘪𝘳𝘮

The makeshift bed consisting of two vanity table chairs pushed against the velvet round seat in the dressing room was by no means the comfiest thing to sleep on, but it did Verity for the few small hours she had rested – between the otherworldly f...

The makeshift bed consisting of two vanity table chairs pushed against the velvet round seat in the dressing room was by no means the comfiest thing to sleep on, but it did Verity for the few small hours she had rested – between the otherworldly feeling of the early morning and the first faint chirps of the blackbirds singing.

The dressing gown she often wore before shows had been used as a sort of improvised blanket, and as Verity stirred out of her light doze – she realised it wasn't by her own means she had awoken.

There was a bang somewhere from in the club – not one that would cause great alarm; perhaps just a slamming door or a chair being knocked over. Listening quietly, there was little else for a few moments before another series of clattering and some growling mumbles. It was then any suspicions or dwindling cautiousness melted away. She recognised that as Arthur.

Quickly darting her eyes across to the clock, Verity noticed it was now just gone 8 in the morning. She had been dozing on and off since about 5, and right now the world felt like another dimension altogether after a night of restlessness.

The natural reverberations and echoes of the sounds around her painted a clear picture in Verity's head of what might be happening. Hungover, in fact, probably still pissed up Arthur – fumbling around the club and crawling into his office like a werewolf after a night of bloodshed. At least he was accounted for, and safe.

She then decided to push herself up to stand, rolling her head a little to try and relieve the agonising crick in her neck – but with little effect. Languidly, she paced to the dresser where she sat and made herself up for the day ahead, going lighter with her makeup application considering the night before had taken her nearly 30 minutes to successfully remove the makeup from her face.

In her usual organised manner, Verity then proceeded to arrange the room back to its usual layout, got herself dressed into one of her pretty but casual dresses hanging in the wardrobe.

The grey swing dress in question was paired prettily with a simple pair of black heels, and before she knew it Verity felt a new woman once again.

The thing was, her head had been swimming all night – questioning and running over the events with Tommy. It had taken a while to sink in she had actually had a conversation with him that lasted more than 2 minutes and didn't end in a fight or her feeling sour about something. And he seemed so open to discussion about topics she had only ever previously wondered about.

After he'd tore from the room and Verity had gone to bed, she laid awake wondering what exactly had triggered his sudden exit. She took her mind down several long paths which eventually resulted in her practically losing an hours sleep.

However, it seemed she wasn't permitted to ruminate over this for much longer that current morning – for as she was sorting through her handbag and mentally preparing herself to return home – Verity heard the doors in the main function room of the club clatter of the wall. She was half expecting to hear Arthur shouting following that, as he was only usually the one to make such obnoxious entrances.