xxxviii - 𝘢𝘳𝘣𝘪𝘵𝘳𝘢𝘵𝘦

The skies cleared somewhat as a new day dawned on Verity's current imprisoned feeling state of living

The psychologist found with the help of some pain medication and lots of tea from Francis, she had felt a little better overnight. Not that it helped her rest any easier, her mind aflame with all the thoughts about her sister.

The more Verity delved into the intricacies of it all in her mind, she found she was really quite stunned by the fact Tommy had gone out of his way to speak to Nina.

Yes, the Tommy Shelby she knew only to cater for himself and burn any bridge behind him.... But there he was, laying himself out for slaughter for the sake of repairing the damaged relationship between Verity and her sister.

She stewed over it all night long, catching a few fleeting periods of sleep but nothing all too substantial. It led her into the new day with the same questions, none the less.

As the morning dawdled on, it carried with it less stormy skies than the day previous - and even the sun threatened to break through all the grey of the so far miserable weather.

She started her day off, still hobbling but at least mobile - carefully making her way through the morning quiet to Tommy's office, using his phone once again for another call that was just bound to disappoint.

"You didn't phone yesterday." Henry's dulled voice answered the moment Verity has greeted him, as chirpy as she could. It seemed her efforts to appear bright hadn't wavered his concerns.

"I'm sorry, I had some medication and it made me drowsy." Verity explained, a partial truth at least... but more so because her mind was racing with the possibilities she might have to make a choice. If Nina did call, then she was automatically preparing herself to have to distance herself from Henry. It hurt a lot, giving up her new life - but she ultimately knew her family was worth more than the seemingly idyllic life she had created in the country. Verity missed her nephew too dearly to turn her back on her bloodline.

"What's happening?" Henry sighed, sounding tired. "You won't tell me what this is all about, I can't help but worry. You don't want to give me a solid answer."

The female psychologist chewed nervously on her nail, eyes straying down the long aspect of the office before her, brain trying to concoct an answer that would at least satisfy her colleague.

"Henry, I'd rather you not get tangled in any of this." Verity explained with a discouraged tone of voice, "I just need to sort some things out. Regardless of what happens over the next few days, I will be coming home by the weekend."

There was a long pause on the other end of the line, followed by a breathy sigh.

"You do nothing but stress me out at the moment, Miss Grant." He exchanged, the intonation of his voice somewhat withdrawn and tired. "But fine, I believe you. You know you can contact me before then if anything changes."