xxiii - 𝘪𝘯𝘥𝘶𝘭𝘨𝘦

Start from the beginning

Rushing out into the mild March air, Charlie ran off towards the stable without any form of hesitation. His shoes could be heard frantically crunching in the gravel for a number of seconds.

Tommy hung back, faltering by the door for a moment or two. His eyes naturally led back to Verity, like she was some form of energy source, and enigma that drew him in like a moth to lamplight. His brain stumbled over it's own thoughts, he wanted to say something – but for the first time in a long time... he actually cared about how these words came out.

He wanted to thank her, not only for Charlie's joy and happiness but also just be out with all these circling thoughts that had drifted around his mind like a stormy cloud for a number of months. Thank her for making him realise that sometimes, it wasn't all about keeping his business front up everywhere. Reminding him that feelings were human, love was human. That the past doesn't condemn the future-

"Forgotten something?" Verity smiled in a puzzled fashion, slightly self-conscious at his burning stare, but not the slightest clue of what was going on in his head.

"No." Tommy brushed it off, "Thought I had but it's at the stable block." He lied, forcing a wry smile.

"Better get going, otherwise Charlie will've galloped twice around the field before you get there." She teased, her pretty hazel eyes twinkling behind that delicate smile.

Tommy nodded, letting himself slip out of the door and into the sunlight. He stilled himself for a moment – hanging his head low and forcibly getting his thoughts together. He hated feeling like this, so caged by his own limitations and fears to say what he wanted to say. He usually had no problem laying down his thoughts in a meeting, or when dealing with a client – so why was this so different?

Why did Verity have to be such an exception?

--

That evening~

Arrow House had undergone quite the overhaul. It's usual bare dark wood was adorned with honey golden lights, golden and silver banners lining the ballroom and enlightening it with an elegance it had been deprived of for so very long.

For her efforts and help, Verity had given Francis the night off and then snuck off to get herself ready.

The party was already starting it seemed, and Verity had rather missed not catching Charlie's reaction when he saw the place – but the last minute touch-ups and finalisation meant she had to scurry off to try and make herself look half presentable.

Dressing in her satin dusky rose pink dress and matching shawl, Verity then tied her hair up into an half up/half down style – her natural waves forming a flattering look. She applied a little more glamorous makeup then usual, thinking she like to not be wiped across the floor by Scarlett's ever present glamour.

As she tied her diamond necklace around her neck, a present gifted to her by Scarlett after they wrote a song together – Verity could hear the hum and buzz of conversation loudly downstairs. She crept to the large, rectangular window and peaked out. A car was pulling up as she did so – out stepped two women and two lads.

Verity pushed the curtain back a little further as she studied them – trying to workout which Shelby family members they might be...

A knock fell at the door, making her jump back from the window in some alarm, the long curtains drifting back into place.

"Verity?" it was Tommy, surprisingly. Taking a deep breath to make herself sound collected, Verity paced to the door and opened it slowly – feeling a sudden pit of anxiousness seconds before the door exposed her. Why did she feel so apprehensive about him seeing her?