≫12

Lina awoke with a start, shooting up in bed like she had been electrocuted, breathing heavily as the remains of her dream clung to her heart, yet she couldn't remember the nature of such a thrilling dream

Shaking away the adrenaline that coursed through her veins, the girl let out a slow breath, attempting to calm her crazily pulsing heart.

Clicking her tongue, Lina's eyes wandered across the cutely decorated room, gaze drifting over her aesthetic fairy lights and the dozens of intricately placed pictures plastered to the walls and mirrors, reminding her of her friends.

It was summer, so she hadn't seen them in a while, but it is supposed she didn't mind too much; she was always an introvert, and was content with staying inside, alone, without a party raging on or the echos of loud cheering following her.

However, despite the familiarity of her room, something was... different.

The mere air that she air that invaded her lungs seemed to be filled with electricity- almost as if it itself was a fire hazard; the atmosphere seemed to be sparking with energy.

Shrugging it off, the girl swung her legs off of her bed, unsteadily standing before stumbling towards the door, rubbing the sleep from her eyes. After sliding on some slippers, the girl sighed subtly as she deduced that, even though the sun was high in the sky, it was much to early to live life. Fingers encasing the doorknob, she twisted it before swaying into the hallway, releasing a subtle yawn as she passed by a few closed doors.

Ignoring the sound of a door cracking open, Lina sluggishly staggered forward, yet she yelped suddenly when a hand closed over her wrist, jumping vigorously before halting in place.

Heart pounding in her chest, Lina wheeled around with slightly wide eyes, for she had not expected someone to seemingly appear out of no where and touch her.

Finding Renjun, her brother, standing lazily behind her, the girl huffed out her tension, placing her hand over her speedy heart.

"Hi?" She mumbled, leaning against the wall beside her.

As if Renjun despised speaking with the girl, Renjun rolled his eyes, lips pursing together in annoyance as he glared down at her. Used to his bitter stare, Lina gazed back, unbothered by his hateful eyes.

"It's Valentine's Day," He grumbled, shes narrowing.

"I know," She replied, becoming strangely suspicious.

"Your soulmate is Haechan," He continued, prompting the girl to fiddle with her fingers awkwardly.

"I know?" She articulated, eyebrows scrunching together.

Renjun sighed in excruciation, crossing his arms in irritation at he glared down at her. Lina, confused as she tried to find the point of this conversation, picked at her fingernails as she awkwardly glanced around.

"Look, Haechan is unpredictable, irresponsible, bloodthirsty, probably insane, and an asshole," He seethed, fiery eyes flaring with detest. "That makes him valuable in this line of work, but he also knows how to work people. He gets in your head, and always gets what he wants."

Renjun's tone seeped venomous resentment, and Lina could tell that he hadn't enjoyed Haechan's presence in his house, for he made it pretty obvious.

"Try to stay away from him," Renjun curtly concluded, eyes shifting away from her, "He's probably just going to use you."

With that, the boy brushed past her, bumping Lina's shoulder as he walked on.

Not bothering to glance back, the girl became immobile in her slippers, eyes narrowing at oblivion as she processed his words.

Use her? For what?

Lina was aware that she wasn't a very exciting person, and preferred to spend her days cocooned in a blanket with either a book or her phone entertaining her. She wasn't outgoing, and definitely didn't find joy in blowing things up or endangering lives, nor did she get off on pain.

What could he ever use her for?

Despite her lack of answers, Lina didn't doubt Renjun's words for a moment.

Haechan's dark, crazed eyes seemed to haunt her, constantly trailing over her body like she was his prey; like she was a drug that he wanted, and wasn't going to stop until he could have it.

She could tell that he was aware of his malicious abilities, and seemed to have to issue with indulging in them, even if it meant selling his sanity away for some fun.

Lina knew that he wasn't good for her, and was most definitely going to ruin her innocence when given the chance. She was sure that he would somehow change her, and she didn't think it would be for the better.

Would she start exploding buildings? Could he morph her into a monster that harmed the innocent?

She couldn't let that happen to her, but she couldn't help but wonder; could she do the opposite to him? Could she prevent him from wishing to commit such cruel crimes?

However, his wild, hungry eyes seemed untamable, and that smug, malicious smirk seemed insurmountable, but she wasn't going to become anything like him- she was almost sure of it.

Lina suddenly felt like she was trapped in a game, but the rules were unknown to the girl- blindly playing along as Haechan created his own laws.

Despairingly confining, yet absolutely freeing; she couldn't escape his grasp or the bond that chained her to him, but he himself was unbridled- giving her a false sense of invincibility.

Something about him was just so wild; so uncaged, and it contrasted her good girl, bookworm persona greatly- he was untamable, whilst she was as prim and proper as can be.

Opposites, that's what they were.