The Proposal

"So whose best man am I gonna be?"
"Hopefully mine, nigga, you the only friend I got," D said and brushed off KJ's arm which was thrown over his shoulder.
"Okay, bet. Who you got, Les?"
I tapped into my sundae.
"Ummm, probably my brother."
KJ turns and looks to D.
"You ain't got a brother?"
"Nigga," was all D said before shoving him to the side.
"I'm just playing, nigga, damn."

The afternoon was ending and the sun was beginning to set. We had went out to the state fair they had going on in town. The day was over for us and it was a fun one. We were out here for most of the day riding on rides and getting fat. We walked on the sidewalk towards the parking lot through the people, rides and vendors.

"Let me see that rock again," KJ said as he went for D's hand.
"You've only seen it about 10 times."
"So how this work?"
D rolled his eyes.
"You got one too?" KJ asks me.
"Yeah."
D had got me my own ring a week after I proposed. Mine had the same two rows of black crystals as his but my band was gold instead of black.
"Not gon lie, them shits look nice."

I was and I wasn't surprised that KJ didn't know about D. But when we told him some time after the engagement his reaction was:

"Nigga, I already figured something like that. You ain't pulled no bitches. Like, never. I kept that shit to myself, though. Glad you finally happy and shit."

Such a true friend. He really did seem excited about the wedding though.

"So which one of y'all is wearing the dress?"

But the thought of D proposing to me not too long after has played in my memories the most. Just the fact that he did it is what I love the most.

"We should go to the beach this evening," he suggested as we walked back to his place from a morning walk. Yeah, we added morning walks to our routine. I already felt like an elderly couple just strolling through town with my soulmate.
"I'm down."
It had been a while since we went to the beach.

I had spent the rest of the day preparing for the start of the school year. The after school program didn't start right away but there was this year's budgets to go through and activities, just a lot of planning. I even had a phone conversation with Ms. Davis for a few minutes.

"How's it going?" D snuck his head in the bedroom doorway as he watched me.
I just finished my phone call and hung up.
"Pretty good. I feel like things are caught up and I'm on schedule," I said while organizing papers into a folder.
"I made a few calls too."
"Oh?" I say partially distracted with my organization.
"Yeah, called around and talked to some real estate agents."
This caught my attention. I turned my head fully to him. I could feel a smile slowly spreading on my face.
"You what?"
"I talked to a couple of niggas.... about some property."
I chuckled.
"We looking at something tomorrow?" He asked me.
My head slowly nodded and my lips were dragged upwards.
"Yeah," I told him.

Five minutes later Derek called me.
"What's goodie, bro?" I asked.
"This car ride."
"Where you going and why are you calling now?"
"I got you on speaker. Me and the girls are heading out of town for a little bit."
"Okay. Family trip?"
"Yeah, should be a fun and relaxing time with the girls."
"That's what's up. Me and D about to head up the beach in a couple."
"Isn't it getting late for that."
"No, it's a little evening spent at the beach."
"Oh... sounds romantic."
"Yeah, Derek... step you're game up."
"Thank you, Les," Sasha comes though.
"Hey now, I didn't make this call for y'all to gang up on me."
"Sounds like you need to listen to your wife more."
"You're going to make Damario a very happy man, Les."
"Awww, thanks Sasha."
"Aiight, I'm ending this call."
I laughed.
"Fine, we gotta be out anyways. Talk to you later," I tell him.

As the sun was setting and the sky was moving from yellow to orange we hoped in the car and drove out.
"Today was hella productive," he said.
"Hella," I agreed.
"I spoke to KJ and he invited us, I guess, to hang out at this year's state fair with him. He said his treat."
I shrugged.
"Sounds cool with me. I never been to a fair."
"Nigga, stop lying," he said as he made a smooth turn.
"What I got to lie for?" I laughed.

I was surprised at how dead the beach looked. There was a young couple or two but then I had to squint to make out a group of people.

"Is that..."
They started walking closer towards D's car. I immediately hoped out to get a better look.
"Aye!" I called before chuckling. "What are y'all doing here?"
It was Ma, Dad, Derek, Sasha and the girls. They came over and gave us hugs.
"What the hell y'all doing here?"
Derek grinned at me.
"Ask D."
I turned to D questioningly. He had a boyish smile on his face.
"I called them to hang out with us," he shrugged.
I eventually shrugged back.
"Aiight, we eating though?" I asked.

There was a little food hut that we went to and grabbed hotdogs. We walked around in the sand eating while enjoying the breeze from the water and the view. I was liking D's idea to bring my family along. This was making me happy and I felt fulfilled.

D turned to face me while looking out at the water.
"How you feeling?" He asked as he squinted in my direction. The sun was directly in his face.
"Happy. Thank you for this. Didn't even know I needed it."
"I'm happy then."
I noticed everyone standing around looking at us. I nodded and smile at everyone.
"But."
I turned back to look at D. He was watching me more seriously now.
"I'd be even happier if you would say 'yes' to marrying me."
I hesitated for a second. Lost for a moment. I gave a light chuckle.
"I beat you to that," I reminded him.
"Yeah... but that doesn't mean I can't have a go at it."
And with that he got down on one knee in the sand. With my family right there cheesing at us. My youngest niece started cheering.
I looked back at D in awe. I really was shocked, I never seen this coming from him. I was so out of it that I missed the ring that he suddenly produced and that was now in my face.
"Will you marry me, Leslie?"
It was the easiest question in the world.
"Yes."
They all cheered loud and danced around. We kissed as he snuck the ring on my finger.

"I need to top this day off with a dip," I told D a little while after the proposal.
The fam was chilling in the sand talking as I made my way towards the water with D following behind me. I could tell he was following my lead with taking his shirt off.
"So you finally going to teach me how to swim?"
I slowly looked over my shoulder as he stood a few inches behind me, shirtless and grinning at me. It was a moment of dèja vú. It then hit me that I had dreamt this moment before. I shook my head in wonder. It was a crazy feeling but I looked back at D.
"Let's go."

I watch D across the roof of the car affectionately. As I did KJ hoped in the back seat still talking. D caught my eye and just rolled his eyes towards KJ before winking at me then sliding into the driver's seat.

~