Chapter Fifteen

Firey had run up the stairs as fast as he could, and it still wasn't fast enough.

She let him in. Leafy had let him in.

And she loved him.

She said it herself.

What if she takes it back? What if she stops loving him before he could get to her door? Would she change her mind on him?

He had to go faster, then. The stairs seemed endless.

He finally got to her floor. He bolted forward down the hallways, uncaring that sprinting down the hallways was against the building rules. He skidded to a halt at her door and knocked.

A second went by.

Nothing.

Another second. Still nothing.

Suddenly, his phone rang.

As he pulled out his phone and looked at the caller ID, the world around him trembled. It was nauseating.

Needle was calling him.

She was calling him. Why? Why now?

Not now. He didn't want to talk about that stuff right now.

He stuffed his phone back into his pocket. He didn't need that right now.

If she was asking for him back, no. The answer was no. Absolutely not.

He's done too much already. He doesn't want to make more mistakes.

Was this a mistake?

Needle rang his phone again.

Firey looked at Leafy's door, the image of it burning from his eyes directly into his soul.

Was she waiting for him? Did it even matter?

He looked down at his phone. The contact picture of Needle smiling was taunting him.

He wanted to answer it.

What if Leafy didn't want him? What was Needle trying to get him to do?

He lifted his thumb and slid the answering button across the screen.

He brought the phone to his ear.