Article 3: The Encounter

Start from the beginning

🎍

When I said 'extra noise', grandpa, I meant the bullies too. I thought woefully. Chen had noticed me sitting alone at the table and decided to fuck around with me while my friends were getting their lunches.

"So, Garmadork, where is your little squad? They finally recognize the loser you are?"
Fate never lets me catch a break, huh. I decided to stay quiet. I was having a bad day, and I don't have the energy to deal with Chen's bullying. Last night Zane and I got almost no sleep trying to figure out who this mysterious photographer was. Well, I didn't get much sleep. Ignoring him was the wrong answer apparently, as he grabbed my tray and tossed it onto the ground.
"Come on, oni! Go pick it up."
Chen seemed more aggravated than usual, since he typically went on his way if I didn't respond. Today was different. He wanted me to react.
"Come on, loser. I'm not gonna ask again."
I looked up. Some kids started to take their phones out, some started to leave the cafeteria out of fear. Regardless of their actions, everyone knew what Chen was doing. He was trying to provoke me.
It was days like this I could reveal my secret identity to the world. Just to be treated even the slightest bit better.
"Loser! Don't make me-"
A tray full of chicken nuggets was slammed into the back of Chen's neck. He shrieked and pointed at the other Ninja.
"Get them!"
Food began to be thrown in all directions. I quickly took cover and made sure to take off my hoodie and tie it around my waist. I don't want that getting dirty.
Looking out from under the table, I saw Kai dump all of his potatoes onto one of Chen's friends. Yuck.
I sat there for a minute and began to plan my escape.
If I participated in the fight, I would get months of detention for sure. There is no way my teachers wouldn't jump at the opportunity to bust the Son of Lord Garmadon. I bit my lip, slipping out from my spot. I expertly avoided pieces of fruit and nuggets as I made my way to the exit.

"Hey you, hand me a plate! I'm about to make Garmadork into a fruit salad!"

He found me. I spun on my heel to look for Chen's voice. Where was he? When I caught a glimpse of his brown hair I locked my gaze onto it, fully prepared to use my training with Master Wu to avoid whatever he has planned for me. But instead of a tray full of food being hurled at me, two pieces of bread were smashed into either side of his head. Chen howled in pain, clutching his temples woefully. I perked up. As Chen took a step back the figure kicked a tray under his foot, causing him to slip onto the messy cafeteria floor. A girl, presumably the figure from before, stood up from behind the tables.

She glared down at him and snatched the front of his hoodie.

"You crushed my cookie." The girl seethed, dropping him to the ground. Her gaze turned to me and I felt myself freeze underneath it. What do I do? She gave me a look, as if I was familiar. Then it hit her. Her eyes grew wide. Did she recognize who I was? Was she about to resent me too?

"You're the-" The girl raised a finger, before lowering it quickly.

She lowered her stare to the object in her hands, as if judging what she was going to do next, before tossing it to me.

"Catch."

I caught it, slightly scared of the implications that would follow if I dropped it. Looking at the crumbled chocolate chip cookie in my hands, I bit my lip in confusion.

"What do you want me to do with this?"
She giggled, before raising an eyebrow.

"You eat it. You looked like you needed a cookie more than me." She said, gesturing to the bully on the ground. Chen groaned, grabbing at her pant leg.
"You won't get away with this! My father will hear about this and you will-!"

Without looking, she kicked him in the chest, making him wheeze and fall back down.
She smiled slightly, before turning on her heel to leave. The cafeteria was empty, spare for Chen's friends picking him up and walking away.

"Bro! Are you okay?" Jay asked, grabbing my shoulders.
"Yeah I'm fine."
"That was the dopest thing ever!" Kai cackled, wiping mashed potatoes off of his jacket. Chicken nuggets were dumped onto his head.
"Hey!"
"You were dumb to start that, Kai." Cole grinned.
"That wasn't me."
"Me either." Cole said
"Nope."
"Nu- uh."
"I wasn't even in line."
Everyone turned to me.
"Did you do it, Lloyd?"
"No... I thought it was one of you guys."
"Well whoever started it gave me the best lunch since Cole snorted paprika and got sent to the nurses office!" Nya chuckled, leading the others out of the cafeteria.
"It was a dare, okay?"
"Yeah, a dare that got you in trouble with your dad and Master Wu." Jay commented, following behind Nya.
My fingers fidgeted with the crumbs of the cookie in the bag. I couldn't get that girl off my mind. Who the hell was that? Was she the one that started the food fight? And why was the way she looked at me so terrifying, yet the kindest thing a stranger has done for me?
——
Holy crap it's been a long ass time since I've ever even breathed the same air as this book. I'm so sorry it took so long to update, I was originally gonna scrap it since I lost motivation for it and no one seemed to like it but I was wrong 0///0
Thank you all for your support it really means a lot.
🥺💕