Deep Blue Fantasy : Merman!Tamaki Amajiki (Part Five)

Start from the beginning

He nervously laughed with you at his attempt at a joke, the humor helping to ease a bit of tenseness he wasn't even aware had begun to build up in his shoulders.

"Okay, so, when I come up here," you continued, "sometimes I like to sing into the breeze. You know, just let my voice carry out into the ocean. Crazy right?"

"How is that crazy?" Tamaki asked, his throat bobbing in anticipation. This was what he'd been waiting for, a chance to hear you up close.

You shrugged, your smile a little embarrassed. "I don't know. It's not like there's anyone around to hear."

He had been around to hear, and he'd thought you sounded lovely. "Can I listen to you?"

You blushed, unused to having an established audience for your music. Nevertheless, you began to hum, warming up your vocal cords. Tamaki had heard you sing this particular tune before, and he listened intently as words began to pour from your throat.

Mersong doesn't have lyrics, per se. There was still usually a meaning behind their music, but never anything like Tamaki heard now. You sang of the ocean and the moon, of a foreign yet familiar longing for times long gone.

Your voice was clear, soaring and falling effortlessly within your chest. Tamaki could only listen on in awe as your song began to conclude, a light blush present on your cheeks.

You were so beautiful then. Tamaki couldn't help but notice it. With your signature delicate circlet placed lightly on your head, the sea air lightly tousling your (H/T) hair, your plush lips still parted as you drew out a final, gentle hum . . . . It was almost too much for him.

He suddenly remembered the object he'd tucked into his pocket the night before. Tamaki reached down and pulled it out, keeping his eyes trained on you. Your gaze was currently locked on the ocean, silently watching the waves advance and retreat on the sand. Tamaki's movements however made you turn back to him, about to nervously ask what he'd thought of your spontaneous private concert. Instead, Tamaki was currently slowly placing a sponge on the top of his head, eyes locked on you.

He brought his hands back down, staring as if waiting for your reaction, crimson heavy on his cheeks. You just stared at him for a moment, trying to figure out what the heck he was doing.

At your silence, Tamaki finally bit his lip, glancing away. Were you rejecting him? He was probably being too forward. Was this too soon for you? Why weren't you saying anything?

"Tamaki?" you finally questioned.

He reached up, sheepishly taking it off. You wouldn't stop staring at him. What had he done wrong? Another part of the custom suddenly worked its way back into his mind.

As a last resort, Tamaki tossed the sponge at you. The squishy material bounced squarely off your nose, and you jumped back in surprise.

"What the—!"

"I'm sorry!"

"Okay, what was that?" You gently touched your nose with the tips of your fingers. Not because it had hurt you, but more to solidify to yourself what just happened.

"I um, I—I'm sorry!" he said again.

"Where did you even—why would you—?" You were so flustered you could scarcely form a coherent sentence.

Tamaki stopped short. Did you not know what it meant? You looked just as confused as he was, if not more.

"Was my singing that bad?" you asked, half-joking, trying to process what was going on.

"N-no! Your song was so beautiful a-and so was your voice! It's just—oh, I've ruined everything—!" Tamaki hid his face in his hands, wishing he could disappear. Maybe he could jump back in the ocean and you would forget he ever existed.