Twisted: ((Chapter Four))

Chapter Four:

The next few classes went uneventfully. I didn’t give the clique a chance to corner me and nobody said anything to me during class so I went around contentedly, holding the plastic Wal-Mart bag that held all my stuff.  

Lunch and recess was another matter. When Arianne and I sat down at our usual table, people seemed to be staring at me.

“What?” I asked, starting to get self-conscious.

“Oh, come on, Ella. Everyone’s seen you with that plastic bag. They’re all just waiting for the chance to tease you,” Arianne said, eating the cafeteria’s spaghetti. “It’s a novelty and you’re hardly the most liked person.”

“True,” I said. “Come on. It’s just a plastic bag.”

“Yeah, but Jessica and Corrie are involved.”

I should have known, after that little scene in the bathroom, that they’d get their revenge. Who knows what rumors they were spreading.

“Excuse my language, but oh, hell. Just when I thought it couldn’t get any worse,” I sighed. At least they ignored me most of the time.

“Why are you carrying around that plastic bag anyway?” Arianne asked.

“Don’t make fun of me, but…” and with that I launched into the story behind the Wal-Mart bag. She looked at me knowingly when I mentioned Brandon.

“So Brandon gave you the bag, huh?”

“It’s not like that!” I said, frustrated. “My bag was broken and I didn’t have anything else. Sheesh. You’re blowing this out of proportion.”

“Whatever you say, Ella,” she teased. I rolled my eyes at her and finished my spaghetti. I saw someone walk up to us from the side of my vision and looked up from my plate. It was Corrie.

“Hey Ella,” she said. “I just came to tell you that Jessica wants revenge for what you told her.”

“Don’t tell me you’re not going to help her,” I said. “Don’t play the innocent. This has happened before.”

Corrie ignored that. I noticed that she was wearing her grey skinnies today. Way to disgrace the skinny jeans, Corrie.

“Also, I wanted to tell you to stay away from Brandon because he’s mine. So don’t even think of trying.”

I wanted to tell her that if Brandon actually fell for Corrie, I would most likely completely stop respecting him and his sense of judgment. I didn’t.  Despite my sarcastic exterior, I actually had a heart.

“Pft. Like I had a chance. Was that all you came to say?” I asked, trying to sound nonchalant. My acting classes must have helped because Corrie looked convinced.

“Plus I came to tell you to ditch that bag. It looks stupid and makes you look so white trash. Everyone knows we’re stepsisters so it might affect me, too. It’s so cheap- looking,” she said, looking horrified. “Why would you even want to use something like that? You look so poor with it.”

“Maybe because my backpack broke and I don’t have anything else?” I said angrily. “Believe it or not Lenora doesn’t give me unlimited resources.”

“Still. Just drop it, okay? I don’t want to look like an idiot in front of everybody because you were stupid enough to actually use a plastic bag around school.” With that she got up and I realized just how low- cut her top was. Yep. If Brandon ended up falling for her I might actually vomit. No way could someone like him go out with someone like Corrie, despite what she may want.