Preface

The orientation presentation. I'm so nervous. If I do well, I'll be known as a hero for the entire program. If I don't, I'll be passed over for every interview I do. I can't fail. Not only here but in the experiment too.

"Lieutenant Harper? We're ready for you." Officer Rumple said from the doorway. I took a deep breath, held it, and let it out as a sigh. I could feel my heartbeat exploding from my chest. My hands shook with nerves. I smiled and followed Officer Rumple in.

      "Commander Dundee, it's a pleasure to be here."

"Take a seat, Lieutenant Harper. You're well aware of what you are signing up for aren't you?"

       "Yes sir, I'm volunteering to be a spy for the Zodiac Piccrut Entertainment Program. My mind will be wiped, Miss Burns will lie to me and tell me what to do. I have a large possibility of dying, being infected, being tortured, being burned alive, etc."

"Good. Now why should we choose you?"

      "I've got nothing left to lose. If I die it's not a big loss for my family because I have none. My body is a well run machine that will not break, bled or burn unless under inhuman pressure. I have a high pain tolerance and a strong memory. And I know that I'm your only choice, I'm very observant, sir."

"Impressive but that's not what I'm looking for." He gave a long pause, "Why do you want to volunteer?"

    "I guess I'm tired of being invisible for who I am. I know that everyone just thinks of me as the one who let the KTS find us at the old base. But I want to redo what I did with this. Please sir. I'm trying to fix some mistakes."

He waited with a long pause, "Alright soldier. You've got it."

        "Really? Thank you sir. Thank you!" I got up from my chair and approached the door.

"On one condition!" I turned around to face Dundee. I looked at him and straightened up.

       "Anything sir."

"Try to make some new friends. They may not be as mad at you as you think."

       "Is that a command sir?" He didn't answer that.

"You're dismissed, Agent."