ch. ─── fourteen

[14] FACE TO FACE

[14] FACE TO FACE.

THE ASSUMPTION OF of the night coming to an end was immediately dropped after Todoroki's risky reveal, the boy calmly sipping his beverage as his classmates bombarded him with questions. As everyone practically buzzed with curiosity and keenness, two out of the crowd dulled.

Hajime wasn't cuddled into Kaminari's chest after that, the boy never returning to her side. She could only hope that he spilled his drink which was why he was taking so long to return, his timing great for these deplorable moments she had a tendency to be involved with.

How could you forget your ever-so-lovely meet-cute at the coffee shop?

But, as the night revived itself, Hajime's mind snapped back to reality. Todoroki, her friend, had a crush on her. If it were any different, Hajime would've been elated; finally, her wishes of having a successful, handsome, celebrity boyfriend would have been complete! She would have seen their faces twist into ones of envy and praise—Mayami Hajime, the perfect girl with the perfect boy. They would've forgotten about him, forever. Throw whatever tainted reputation he had built for himself and come running back to her, the one they should've never left.

Her face falls to the thought, her insides twisting.

The entirety of Hajime's plan was to seek revenge for her two-timing ex-boyfriend, the sad excuse of a man contorting the truth into the ugly lie that the people of Shiketsu ate up like cake. He ruined her life, so much that she had to leave the school. Every day was a constant reminder of what he did, the sweet smiles of students turning sour just at the sight of her walking down the hallways. She only had Areum and Hiromi, the teachers the only ones who could've done anything to stop it. And they didn't... nobody did anything except for Areum.

"I need a drink," she groaned, Areum was too busy playing Just Dance to have stopped her.

Get a pretty boyfriend so everyone could see that Hajime was alright. Get a pretty boyfriend so Hajime could forget about that ugly bastard. Get a pretty boyfriend so they'll call him ugly. Get a pretty boyfriend so they'll leave Hajime alone... So everyone could move on and never give her that look of pity ever again.

Her body falls like a bag of rocks against the chair, her clammy hands reaching for the vodka bottle across the table as she poured some into a random empty cup. Hajime should've been happy to hear Todoroki liked her because that meant she'll finally get her sweet, luscious revenge.

After she looks over at the red cup, she can't help but remember what Areum had said to her all those days ago.

I just don't want your personal revenge to hurt somebody else. Hajime's lips parted from the cup as her features only wash over.