ch. ─── sixteen

[16] TEMPORARY COMFORT

Hajime hasn't spoken to anyone for two days. After she stormed off into the dorms when Aruem tried to console her, she didn't even utter a word about what she saw. Everything she had going for her had instantly died that night, and that viciousness that she worked so hard to not fall back in speared her straight through her heart and broke her all over again.

On the first day, she was twenty minutes late to class, her eyes swollen and her voice a grainy sound. Every step felt like an actual exercise, her body like lead as she kept falling asleep during classes. At that point, she would've gotten detention if it weren't Mina or Kaminari looking out for her; they would explain to the teacher before every class that she wasn't feeling well and to please take it easy on her for the day.

Hajime would hear this yet not utter a word. All they got in return was a deadeye look, her violet eyes mauve and vacant.

"Have you spoken to Mayami, Kam?" It was lunch and she was nowhere to be found.

The blonde shook his head, his food untouched. "I haven't... have you?"

"No."

Kaminari bit his bottom lip and looked back at his phone. Even his texts with Areum haven't been useful since she hasn't answered him. His honey-coloured eyes glance back at Todoroki's table, his heterochromatic gaze already on him. The frown on his lips was enough to confirm his dread.

The second day was even worst. Hajime started snapping back at the teachers and even skipped the last classes of the day. Nobody knew where she was, and the only reason they knew she was safe was when Aizawa let it slip that she was stuck with Nezu in his office. Kaminari's only contact with her the entire day was when they bumped into each other in the dorms.

"Maya—" Her back went stiff in the hall of the elevators, her violet eyes wide and worn—"What's going on with you? Are you okay?"

His hand managed to latch onto hers, Kaminari watching as her lips pursed. She was so cold. Her touch and even her demeanour. Most people were worried about the rumours going on about her, but Kaminari was the only one that knew what Hajime went through at her old school.

He didn't want the same thing to happen to her here. Not on his watch.

But as Kaminari went to hold her face, Hajime's eyes turned fearful and his hand was slapped away with a sharp sound.

Kaminari looked at her with hurt and confusion, his mouth fumbled open and closed as he furrowed his brow. The regret that flashed across Hajime's face was immediately masked with anger, and she left Kaminari by himself and took the stairs instead.