109

I watched my aunt hit the ground and i seen the regret in my uncles eyes.
"No!" I screamed as i ran forward forgetting g i even held a weapon in my hand that i could have should have shoved into my uncle for payback not only for my father but now my aunt.
"What have you done!" I screamed as i wrapped my hands around the white oak stake.
I felt a hand on my shoulder and i seen my uncle next to me.
"Haven't you done enough?!?" I yelled as i pulled the stake out. I walked back over to my father who still lay recuperating from his wound.
My uncle joined me and i held the stake and we didn't talk. Rebecca walked over to us eventually after she healed.
"Rebecca!" I cried as i ran to her.
She wrapped her arms around me and i cried. I thought for sure she was going to die but she didn't Klaus didn't stab her in the heart he never wanted to kill her.
"You missed my heart" she said to my uncle as she pulled me off of her and pushed the hair behind my ear.
"Perhaps I did... or perhaps I never meant to kill you. Perhaps i just wanted you to feel a fraction of the fear i felt when father came for me." My uncle said as i stood beside my aunt her arm still around my shoulders.
"Do you yourself know the truth?" Rebecca asked.
"I know this. You accuse me of being evil, and yet you are the one who conspired to kill your own blood." Klaus said as he looked up at her.
"You made our lives a living hell. You tormented us. Kept Elijah from his daughter, HIS daughter for decades." Rebecca said.
"I love my family... you, Elijah, and Maddie. I loved all of you." Klaus said with tears running down his face.
He looked over at my dad and then got up and walked to Rebecca and I .
"I know i can be difficult, but i did not make myself this way. It was Mikael who ruined me." Klaus said.
"He ruined me, too. And Maddie" Rebecca said as she looked at me with tears in her eyes too.
"That's what you forget Uncle Klaus. Centuries later, each of us is broken... you with your anger and paranoia, Rebecca with her fear of abandonment... and my father who dedicates himself to everyone but himself and me always one step closer to losing control. We are the strongest creatures in the world, and yet we are more damaged beyond repair." I said as i whipped tears away.
"we live without hope, but we will never die. We are the definition of "cursed"... always and forever." Rebecca said as we watched Klaus blink his tears away.
My father sat up with a deep breath and my uncle walked over.
"Now we are even" he said as he walked off to find Rebecca.
I sat down on the ground next to my father and wrapped my arms around his neck and laid my head on his shoulder.
"I'm sorry" i whispered.
"You did nothing to be sorry about" he said as he laid his head on mine.
"We're still trapped in here. Whatever you're going to do to me, do it now." I heard Rebecca say.
"You said our father ruined us... including our niece... and i cant help but to wonder, what if his father ruined him?" Klaus said.
I took my head off of my fathers shoulder and helped him up. There was a gust of wind and i heard a creaking.
"The barriers down" i heard Klaus day to Rebecca.
"I know you hate me, but what's done is done." Rebecca said.
"What's done is never done. It remains within us, a story we tell ourselves so we know who we are... vicious father, a bastard son, and the sister who betrayed him. Perhaps it's time fo a new story. What is it that you want Rebecca?" I heard my uncle ask.
"Same things that I've wanted since i was a child. I want a home. I want a family. I want someone to love me, and i want to live." I heard Rebecca said.
"Then go. Go far away and never come back. We are far too damaged to remain together, less a family now than a volatile mix of ingredients. New Orleans will be mine. I will raise my child here in the city you took from me. No doubt, Elijah will choose to stay, and Maddie will go we're her father goes, but you, sister, you are free." I heard my uncle say.
I looked at my father and he did say anything only listened as i was.
"Come Maddie" my father said as he headed out of the cemetery.
I looked just beyond the graves and seen my uncle standing there and then i followed after my father and we went to the burnt down plantation home where we found Rebecca.
"I thought I might fund you here." My father said as we walked over the burnt ground me slightly behind him.
"I just came to collect the last of my things that didn't burn to ash." She said as she looked at us.
"Good luck" i said as I looked around.
She smiled when she looked at me.
"I'll be leaving shortly. I dont suppose you have any desire to join me." She said.
My father smiled.
"I do hope you find everything you're looking for." My father said as he leaned on a fallen beam.
"Elijah, when i brought Mikael, i never for a second meant to hurt you or Maddie." Rebecca said.
He pointed to himself and then looked at me and then back at her.
"We know." My father said.
"I was for certain that Klaus meant to kill me. Whether he never really did at all or he changed his mind... maybe somewhere deep down, he still is the brother and uncle we once knew." Rebecca said.
"Very deep, but... he's still in there." My father said.
Rebecca smiled as she walked over to us kissing my father on the cheek and me on the head.
"Help him find his way." She said as she looked at my father.
"Maddie, I love you and be strong but don't fight battles that aren't yours to fight. Keep yourself safe, you aren't your fathers protector it's a parents job to protect their children. And if you need a girl to talk to I'm always a phone call away." She said as she turned to me.
I nodded.
"I'll try aunt Becca" i said.
She smiled and looked at my father and I one last time before walking away.
My father and i followed behind her heading home and as we walked into the compound we heard Marcel talking to my uncle.
"If you're gonna kill me for that, get on with it." Marcel said.
We watched my uncle just nodded and turn around and walk up the stairs. My father vamped in and throw Marcel into a wall and i walked over to my dad as he fixed his suit buttoning the jacket.
"Good evening. I trust we need no introduction. After all, this was once my family home." My father said as he addressed the vampires who all were gathered in our home.
I watched Marcel get up off the ground and glare at my father.
"Tonight I'm taking it back. Your privileges here have been revoked. Marcellus, out of respect for my sister, i will grant you this one mercy. I will allow you to keep your life." My father said as he walked towards Marcel.
I rolled my eyes. When my father spoke this way it meant business.
"However, you're hereby exiled. If i so much as find a trace of you in the French quarter, it will not end well for you. Do you understand?" My father asked.
No words were said but i think that meant Marcel understood and wasn't going to fit my father, he would have lost, Marcel I mean.
"That is all. Run along." My father said shooing the vampires away.
They all shuffled out of the compound and my father turned and looked at Marcel who also followed the rest of them out.
"Nicely done, brother. You're beginning to sound like me. I'm impressed." My uncle said from above us.
My father and i looked up at my uncle while he spoke but once my uncle walked away from the railing and into his room my father and i looked at each other.