Madara sighed, there was no use in getting her to stop. It was quiet in the mean time between the both of them, the sound of footsteps hitting the the soil as they walked, and the peaceful rustling of the leaves.

Madara stopped suddenly in his tracks, snapping his wife a dark glare. His eyes swirled a deep ominous red.

"Ayumi."

"Mm." Ayumi quickly caught on. Byakugan!

"They're over there!" Ayumi quickly threw an air palm, dismantling the trees behind them. There they stood no longer hidden in plain sight. Madara stared at them intently, and he cast a genjutsu on the pair of anbu. One fell, the other man managed to deflect it.

Madara gathered chakra at his feet. "I can handle this man alone, can you go ahead and hid-"

"Madara!" Ayumi quickly darted to guard Madara from a triage of sharp arrows that was headed his way. The anbu had kept it invisible, but she managed to catch it due to a faint chakra signature.

Madara hitched his breath, knowing the fate that awaited his wife.

 "Ayumi! Don't-!"

"Agh!" The thick arrows travelled through her flesh, she had taken the impact of the arrows to protect him.

Madara had been in a haze at what he had just witnessed, his eyes wide open. He was suffering from flashbacks from his brothers and their deaths. Ayumi dropped to her knees.

"I-I..." Ayumi couldn't breath. "Ma-da...ra..." Her hands dug the soil, coughing hard. 

He snapped out of it. "Ayumi!" He yelled. Madara huddled over her, and snapped the Anbu man one hard stare. 

Amaterasu.

Madara watched the Anbu burn to his death. He quickly turned his attention to his heaving wife.

(Please play the above OST for the rest of the story).

"How dare you!" Madara shouted at her. "Why did you guard me! You didn't have to-!"

"Madara! I don't know! I wasn't thinking! My body just..." Ayumi dropped on her side, blood dripping from the side of her mouth. "I need...  I need you to get these arrows out of me..." She clutched his hand, afraid of what was to come. Ayumi still had her Byakugan activated. She could see that poison was travelling through her system. She would not be shocked if this lead to a miscarriage.

Madara forced himself to remain calm. He grabbed her bridal style to a spot nearby, that had been more secluded. Here, he layed her gently on her side, on the grass. 

She coughed a couple more times, earning a concerning look from the Uchiha.

"You need to keep talking, Ayumi." Madara sternly spoke, his voice wavering the slightest bit. He was no fool, he knew what fate awaited her. Although his visual prowess was not on par with the princess's, he could clearly tell her system was under dire stress. She had been poisoned by the arrows, that were still in her flesh. "I need to know you're okay." He added.