PART 50

A Time Already Forgotten.

Madara was an exacting man. Efficient in his execution in every respect of his life, a seamless precision in every pursuit.

But there was one thing that would shake him every now and then.

Madara's finger grazed the chipped photograph in his hand of his brothers and parents. A frown grew on the Uchiha's face.

-

"When you're sad and alone, all you can really count on is yourself." Ayumi muttered, her hair flowing in the wind, as the birds chirped early in the morning.

Hanuko itched her hair in confusion. "That doesn't really sound like you." The inquisitive girl squinted her eyes, inspecting Ayumi's face. "Did Madara's mellowness rub off on you?"

Ayumi stayed silent. Ayumi glanced at her friend hard, and grabbed her wrist.

"Come with me."

She led her to the Hyuga main household.

-

They now stood before the crinkling fire underneath the ground, in a hideout beneath the tatami mats of the Hyuga household.

"Just like our compound!" Hanuko exclaimed. "Mhm." Ayumi muttered, turning her attention towards the crinkling fire. She intertwined her fingers, reflecting deeply for a moment.

Hanuko analyzed her intently, waiting for something to be said.

"There always comes a time when... even the good times end." Ayumi muttered. Hanuko looked at her suspiciously.

"The ongoing conflict between the Senju and the Uchiha seemed eternal to Madara." The Hyuga princess spoke more.

"Madara once saw the stone tablet with his new eyes. All he saw was a life of endless suffering, conflict, and a peace that could never be attained." Ayumi added solemnly.

Hanuko dropped her head. She stayed like that for a moment.

"I don't know what to do anymore, Hanuko." Ayumi brought her hands to her protruding belly. "To leave the village. Leave this settlement, go with Madara. And be with him to make sure he doesn't fall astray. Or be here in the Leaf, to continue to protect my clan, the Uchiha, and everyone else. To be a shinobi of the Leaf. And to not be branded a traitor."

Hanuko huffed, clenching her fist, bringing a punch in the air. "Oh that Madara, I'll show him a piece of me alright!-"

"Hanuko." Ayumi stifled a laugh.

"I can't believe he's stressing you out this much! You're pregnant!"

"I can handle it!" Ayumi smiled. "Besides, that's what you sign up for when you're with him."

Hanuko brought a finger to her chin. "You got a point there."

It stayed silent yet again.

"Well if it's any consolation, I'm here to help out my clan. You do not have to exhaust yourself anymore, Ayumi." Hanuko bowed down courtly.

Ayumi was taken slightly a back. Hanuko wasn't one of formalities when they were around each other. "You don't have to do that. We're friends."

Hanuko jumped. "Friends."

Ayumi nodded her head firmly, with conviction. A few moments passed as the friends stared at each other.

"Loneliness left the self claimed saviour of the world untrusted. Upon reading the failures of the shinobi, Madara quickly lost hope for mankind, believing that Hashirama failed. This hopelessness displayed the solitude that he caused himself, by distancing himself from not only Hashirama but from the rest of his clan. Madara did have Konoha's best interests at heart. At its core, Madara's philosophy was geared towards achieving true peace, and at one point that's where his heart was focused towards, but his own safety and the Uchiha's became in jeopardy. It's no secret; everybody is wary of the Uchiha." Ayumi's eyebrows fell, staring hardly at Hanuko, who returned a gaze just as fierce.

"I'll talk to him." Hanuko quickly turned on her heels, and walked the other way out.

***

Short chapter, I know. But I wanted to keep it that way.