x. SHIFTING FEELINGS

Start from the beginning

          She then wriggled out from under his arm and began spinning her lock. Beside her, Isaac leant up against Allison's locker, just looking on. She raised an eyebrow. "Are you just going to stand there and watch?"

          "I like to look at a nice view," he shrugged, tossing her a smirk.

          She blinked a few times before cocking her head at him. Her heart began fluttering in her chest, but her face was expressionless. "That might work on your little fan club, but the cheesiness is not allowed around here unless there some mac to go with it, Lahey."

          And with that, Carson turned back to her locker, practically shoving her head inside. Her hands were tugging off her coat and shoving it inside, all while she was trying to slow her heart rate down. It was just a simple comment, but it brought what she thought was an unnecessary smile to her face. She didn't like feeling like this; feelings like this were what caused problems and they already had enough on their plates as it is.

          But Isaac wasn't stupid. He leaned into her from behind, towering over her small frame. A mouth came near her ear and a chuckle escaped it. "You're forgetting I'm a werewolf, Bradley. You can't hide the escalated heart rate from me."

          And then he was backing up and turning on his heel.

          "Screw you."

          He chuckled again, tossing a smirk over his shoulder as he adjusted his bag strap. "See you at cross country, Bradley."

          As he disappeared into the crowd of juniors and underclassmen, she felt she eyes go wide. Carson turned back to her locker, yanking the miniature calendar off the inside of the door. And right there, on the little square for the day's date were the words Cross Country Practice in bright blue marker, along with a crude drawing of her as a stick figure dying of physical exertion.

          "Aw, shit."

⋆ ⋆ ⋆

          Carson hated everything. She literally hated everything. Cross country as a sport should be illegal. Running in general should be freaking illegal. There was absolutely no need for a group of teenagers to run around in the wooded area behind the school. That was the area that was meant for people to get drunk and hook up, not for people to get exercise.

          She gets that because she's now a werewolf, physical exertion wouldn't affect her at all. But it was just the principle of the fact that she didn't even want to sign up for cross country. In fact, Carson didn't want to sign up for any sport.

          The only reason the name Carson Bradley had ever made it onto the signup sheet was because of Stiles and Scott. The lacrosse team was being forced by Finstock to do cross country, because he wanted them in shape in the off season. Before the boys never had to do it because A, they sucked and B, Scott had asthma. But now that both of those problems were solved and Scott was going to anything to keep his sorry ass on the team, it was mandatory.

          She ended up getting roped into it one day during the summer when the three of them were all hanging out. The two boys had been talking about different ways to keep in shape for lacrosse until one of them remembered about this specific way. They had spent a good twenty minutes trying to bribe their favorite girl into it, saying it would be a good bonding activity while also being good for the soul.

          Carson ended up getting bribed with curly fries.

          So here she was, being forced to think of ways to get her sorry ass out of this whole running thing. Maybe she could fake a disease. Or a broken leg. Broken bones always seemed to work if you wanted to get out of something.