40 | paper hearts

Start from the beginning

Falling in love with him was not planned. They were supposed to be friends, just Sakusa and (Y/N) and nothing in between. But their stars aligned, and a great force pulled them together.

Sakusa watched her like she had the stars in her hands and soft petals at her feet. He wanted to wrap her in his arms and never let go. But first things first, he had to tell her how he felt, but his nerves were so bad, he shook at just the thought. He was scared, scared of the rejection that might've ensued after his confession. He wasn't even sure if (Y/N) even liked him back.

Years and years of building such a significant friendship only to have it torn down with a simple "no" because of his unrequited feelings.

(Y/N) was all quiet that night, not like her at all, miss chatter herself. Sakusa was used to the long tales, the rambling, the quick wit. He bit his inner lip for just a half-second before sighing, flicking his hair in the fading light of the evening. She spoke before he got the chance.

"I love you."

It felt like liquid adrenaline being injected right into (Y/N)'s bloodstream - just enough to make her nerves quiver.

She had made her big declaration of love, and now the silence lay on her skin like a poison. It seeped into her blood and paralyzed her brain, her pupils became dilated, and there was a tremor in her hands. His face was one of awkwardness, not even hurrying to save her feelings, to fill the void with a non-committal statement of appreciation.

Sakusa turned around to face (Y/N), but too slow to be normal. Her comment was so out of character, so far from what he knew of her, he just stared at her open-mouthed. His brain formulated no thoughts other than to register that he was shocked. He closed his mouth, then looked at his shoes before glancing back up to catch her eye.

"I lik-"

"Gaah!" (Y/N) abruptly stood up and ran her fingers through her hair while pacing back and forth. "I shouldn't have said that! You clearly like someone else..."

An air of befuddled unworldliness wrapped around Sakusa's head like a blanket. He was beyond confused, and his mind went blank as he tried to understand what (Y/N) meant.

"Like someone else?"

Had he said something in the past that hinted about him liking someone else? He couldn't remember... that was until after a few seconds of awkward silence, a certain memory popped up.

It was the time when both adolescents were forced to attend a wedding. While they were talking, a girl had approached and asked for his number, but Sakusa promptly turned her away. As the dejected girl walked away, (Y/N) asked him the reason why. Sakusa's brain froze up, and he didn't know what to reply with, resulting in a misunderstood answer.

The reason why he turned that girl away was that his heart was reserved for (Y/N).

"I- I think I should just go now," was all (Y/N) could say while keeping her gaze on the ground before swiftly turning around.

"Oi, wait." Sakusa quickly grabbed onto her sleeves, tugging it gently to stop her from going any further.

(Y/N) turned around to see Sakusa pinching the bridge of the nose with his brows furrowed. His cheeks were kissed pink like a spring rose, the blooming colour was so cute against his skin. Not only his cheeks, but his whole face turned red. Though the ears had been hidden among the messy curls of his hair, it was obvious that they were as rosy as his face.

She had never seen Sakusa blush. He was always stoic, in charge and quite self-assured. So when (Y/N) saw that pink on his face, she knew something serious was afoot. Or maybe it was the cold that was affecting his skin and making it rosy.

"I... I like you too..." Sakusa quietly says, averting his gaze from (Y/N)'s as he released his grip on her sleeves.

There was a delicious moment where (Y/N)'s face washed blank with confusion like her brain cogs couldn't turn fast enough to take in the information from her wide eyes. Every muscle of her body just froze before a grin crept onto her face. It soon stretched from one side to the other showing every single tooth.

"You're not kidding... right?"

"W-What is there to joke about? D-Don't get the wrong idea..."

"You like me? You really like me?" (Y/N) couldn't believe her ears.

"S-Shut up... I told you not to get the wrong idea..."

(Y/N)'s heart thumped so hard that she swore it was audible, their eyes had met, and she swore she could see a smile form on Sakusa's face. His cheeks slightly lifting upwards was enough to tell her he was smiling. It was only a small smile, but it was enough to make her go weak at the knees.

Her blush burned through her cheeks, and her face felt like a hot oven. She suddenly felt awkward as she attempted to hide her cheeks behind her fingers.

A satisfaction, as if having completed a deeply, personally needed action; expressed by the slightest curve at the mouth's corner and youthful confidence worn in a slight raise of the eyebrow above a quizzical, joyful eye.

(Y/N) moved her hands away from her face before looking at Sakusa straight in the eyes with a deep curve on her lips that made the world stop around her. A smile that brought back a million memories in a split second.

"I'm glad you feel the same way, Kiyo."

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

my vocabulary kinda went  b o o m

i think my writing worsened aw shucks

please vote and/or comment if you enjoyed this chapter!
all your votes/comments are greatly appreciated!

please vote and/or comment if you enjoyed this chapter! all your votes/comments are greatly appreciated!