35 | sea of clouds

At 6:00 AM, the hotel was already hustling and bustling as students scrambled around to get their stuff before their three hours trip to Daisetsuzan National Park.

As (Y/N) waked, her mind swam with a departing dream; she sighed, reluctant to banish it and begin her day. The light of early morning shined into her slowly opening eyes, and she brought her hands to guard them.

Everything about her felt heavy from her arms to her feet. She let her head loll from one side to the other, eyes closing one more time as she enjoys the brief darkness.

Immediately upon the bus halting to a stop, (Y/N) finally woke up from the darkness that consumed her. It was 9:00 AM when they arrive at the mountain-filled park, with some still dozing away.

The frigid air penetrated her skin, chilling her blood, sinking into the marrow of her bones like wet concrete.

From the corner of Sakusa's eyes, he could see (Y/N)'s teeth chattering and wrapping her arms around her figure as she had only brought a thin coat for the trip, not expecting it to be that cold during early autumn.

Sakusa softly sighed. "You're so unprepared."

(Y/N) whipped her head around. "Wha-"

Her sentence was interrupted when Sakusa took off his scarf and wrapped it twice around her neck. The warmth of the snug scarf around her neck took (Y/N) by surprise. The frigid cold couldn't penetrate the barrier of wool and fabric.

"You... don't need it?" She asked while snuggling the scarf.

"I knew this would happen. That's why I brought an extra one." Sakusa took out his dim green scarf from his backpack and wrapped it around his neck.

"Are you sure?"

"It's fine. You're going to freeze without it, anyways."

For a moment, Sakusa's brain stuttered, and he was speechless when he saw how snug his scarf fitted around (Y/N)'s neck. Good thing he had his mask on or people, especially (Y/N), would've seen his extremely rosy cheeks.

• • •

The brilliant shafts of sunlight caressed the carpet of reds and golds before her, laid out like a carpet for a royal. Each breath of the fresh air filled her with a sense of life that almost made her want to shout out loud. Just to hear her voice echo amidst the trees - like a brave warrior of old.

When the wind blew, they came down, breaking delicately off of tree branches and fluttering down to earth like a colourful rain. The leaves in the wind are like sails without boats, carefree and joyful.

The autumn breeze tousled (Y/N)'s hair and pinked her cheeks. The warmth that had been in the wind just last week had either evaporated into the sky or leached into the earth.

Though, for some reason, she couldn't help but have mixed feelings about walking on the trail. She felt her heart twist and sink with her nerves as she walked down the rocky path with her group. The dread was an invisible demon sitting heavy on her shoulders, and only she could hear the sharpening of its knives. She sweated and became pale, then the tremor in her hands begins.

But at the same time, she felt pumped, excited, more alive than she had ever thought possible. She was going to climb a mountain! She never got the chance to do that before in America, so it made sense that she was excited to climb it.

The world was quite astonishing. When (Y/N) first peeked over the horizon and saw nature without the haze of discontent. Without any filter, with the naked eye and the brain open to the beauty of this reality, amazement came.

It was the complete opposite to her dread that kept hanging on, despite feeling elated. (Y/N) determined that she should just ignore the apprehension and focus on the more positive part of the trail. 

"Incredible! That's so pretty!" She slowly walked behind her group and took out her phone to take photos of the vibrant spectacle.

"Hurry up (Y/N)! You don't want to be left behind!" Komori called out while climbing up the steep, lengthy stairs that led to the top of the mountain.

"I will!"

(Y/N) stopped halfway up the stairs to appreciate the scenery. It was breathtakingly beautiful.

The mountain's natural stairs were loose rocks. Each one washed smooth by the river that once ran freely over them. (Y/N) braced her feet, attempting to guard against the inevitable rolling in random directions, but her ankles tumbled left and right regardless.

A mountain laid in the distance like a ridiculous green camel hump or perhaps the nose of a slumbering giant turned to rock. (Y/N) held out her hands to make a "picture frame." It fitted right in, a perfect photograph, even if it was just the tip. The tip slightly peeked out of the sea of clouds; it swirled around her and filled the ocean-like sky with its fluffiness.

Suddenly, she felt a hard shove from her side, not knowing who since the world rushed by in a blur, and she knew the pain was coming. It went by fast, yet slow, almost suspended. Her perception of time distorted, everything slowed down until there was nothing, only her and the sky above, the blue, that seemed to swallow her whole.

The last thing she saw was the world tilting sideways and a shadowy figure before being consumed by cold darkness.

• • •

"(Y/N)...?"

"What's wrong, Sakusa?" Komori asked as Sakusa gazed at the path behind him for an abnormal amount of time.

"She's not behind us."

There was no one behind him.

Meanwhile, Okane had finally caught up with the group and heaved out a long, heavy sigh. She looked up from her phone and watched stolidity as Sakusa continued scanning the surroundings, not noticing her presence.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

i never had any romantic experiences but here i am writing a romance book

i'm eternally crying since haikyuu is gonna end next week

i'll be back on friday 😔

please vote and/or comment if you enjoyed this chapter!
all your votes/comments are greatly appreciated!

please vote and/or comment if you enjoyed this chapter! all your votes/comments are greatly appreciated!