Starlit Sacrifice

It happened within the last months of year five of the mission. 

We have been navigating a thick grouping of asteroids surrounding a star. I trust Captain Patterson flying, but this was a floating minefield. However, The real danger was the stars gravitational pull, if we got too close, we'll become trapped.

That would be our death sentence.

It would only leave us with two outcomes. Both are rather unpleasant. The first outcome is that we get pulled close enough to the stars inferno surface and are boil alive. The second outcome is to be smashed to smithereens between the floating asteroids surrounding the sun. 

Everything was going well until suddenly we're blindsided by one rouge asteroid, slamming into the side of our ship, causing us to then bounce off another one nearby. The word turbulence was an understatement. It felt like we would be shaken until we turned into goo. Captain Patterson was able to regain control of the ship, but we both quickly recognized the true danger we were in.  

"Secure those containers down, Devens! This is only going to get worse!"

"Yes captain!" 

I strap down the loose containers, locking the cupboard. I ignore the strewn papers on the floor, looking out the port window. There was a significant dent in the back side of the ship.

"I need a summary of our ship operational ability. We only have so much space until we'll be pulled in!"

I stare at the ships commands board, counting all the flashing red alerts.

"Shields are at 50% and we lost the left engine! Also the two right side escape pods and one left pod are not operational! Sir!"

I start to make my way to the cockpit but before I'm able to get there, Captain Patterson emerges from the threshold, his face sweaty and pale.

"I need you to get in the escape pod, Elara."

"What?" This caught me off guard, the order and the breaking of formality, which was rare for Captain Patterson.

"Get in the escape pod."

"We only have one escape pod, I'm not going to abandon you!"

"I'm not asking for your opinion Elara! The ship wont have enough power to get out of the stars gravitational pull. The longer we wait the farther we drift from the optimum area for the pod to be able to escape the pull."

He pauses for a second, his voice softening
"I'm not letting another member of my team to die out here if I can help it."

All I can do is nod. "I understand...Howard."

I can see the fear in his eyes. Both of us stumble through the shaking ship to the escape pod. He gets the door open, holding the hatch open as I step inside.

Its hard to keep the tears from my eyes, overwhelmed by my emotions but ashamed I'm crying in front of him. He leans partially into the hatch, helping me finish clicking the safety straps on.

"I'm sorry I couldnt do more."

"Don't apologize. You did well Elara, as did Mark and Amy. I was too hard on all of you. I couldn't ask for a better crew."

"It was an honor to serve under you, Captain Patterson."

"It was an honor to serve with you too, Captain Devens."

I watch as he steps back into the ship pressing the button on the wall, the drone of the buzzer signaling the hatch sealing shut.

Through the port window, I see him raise his open hand to his forehead in a salute. Swallowing my tears, I am able to return the salute before the escape pod ejects away from the ship.
I grip the handles of the chair at the sheer momentum of the departure. Thankfully the pod has a automatic system processor installed which allows for it to navigate through the asteroid belt without human interaction.

Tears stream down my cheeks as I see the USS Quester grow smaller and smaller.

I'm all alone now.

All I can hope for now is rescue from another countries space exploration team.

But my hopes dwindle as I remember the last time we ran into another crew was over a year ago.