Adrift

I'm running low on food and oxygen.
The escape pods are only fitted for about two weeks of rations and materials. From my estimate, I am in day 10 of 14.

Maybe its what I deserve? My body drifting in space. Its the same fate as my fellow crew mates received. The only difference is there will be no words said or tears shed at my funeral.

To conserve power, I have turned off manual controls, and reduced engine use. The down side to this action is that I am now 100% at the mercy of space.

Little did I know how much at its mercy I truly was.

I don't remember falling asleep, but I most certainly remember waking up. If I wasn't strapped into the chair I would have slammed into the side of the pod with enough force to break several ribs. Before I could even grasp what had happened I could feel the pods momentum pick up, spinning like a top or one of those carnival rides that use centrifugal force to pin you to the walls.

But this was much worse, this had none of the carnival fun or safety.

All I could do is grip the chair and hope for a painless death. I couldn't see anything. There was no light. Pitch black darkness engulfed the cabin of the pod.

I focus on my breathing to keep what little food I had in my stomach down. I dont know how much longer I can withstand the spinning.

"Ahhhhhhhhh Please!!! Stop!!"
I let out a cry of help and prayer to the abyss.

The last thing I felt was the blood rushing from my head, the numbing feeling of unconscious taking over.

~~~

When I awake, all I can feel is the throbbing in my head and the chill on my breath. The interior lights are all off except the emergency red light. A scrolling message on the center console catches my eye.
"Low power. All energy directed to life support and distress signal."

Who knows how much time I have now. Wormholes are notorious for distorting time, my scientist believe they could be used for space travel. If I survive this, I'll like to tell them that it most certainly can.

As I float through space, I decide to finish the last of my food rations. No point dying on an empty stomach, right? From the frosted port window, I can see a star in the distance. Its golden orange light a marvelous scene to look at. It looks like it there is a rock in between my pod and the star, adrift just the same.

It seems to be moving in my direction.

With exterior lights.

"A ship." My voice cracks as I speak for the first time in awhile, my throat dry. If I had any space to move I'd be jumping around with joy.

The backdrop lighting from the star prevents me from being able to make out what country the rescue ship is from, but I honestly dont care. In a few minutes it's positioned outside the port. I can hear the clanking metal as the ship latches on to the pod. The hissing of air as the seal lock is put into place. Excitement and relief builds up in my chest.

Im not going to die. Not alone in space.

The hatch lock is released and it swings open, I look up from unlatching my chair straps when I hear his voice.

"..E..Elara..?"

My eyes dart up from the belt "Howard?"

Behind him I can hear a shocked gasp from a woman, and a quick hush from a man. Their heads poke out from behind Howards, Amy and Mark are as shocked as I am.

"Th-this cant be right.." Howard shakes his head

"You're dead" We both say in unison. Howard looks surprised at that statement, running a hand through his grey hair.

"Im dead? I'm clearly not dead." I say with some defiance.

"We had your funeral a week ago Elara. You...I mean, she got crushed during a rock slide when surveying a planet."
I grimace slightly at the thought of dying that way.

Mark is shaking his head.
"There has to be a perfect explanation for all this, right?" He looks around for any support.
"You're clearly in an escape pod, so what happened. What do you remember last?"

Then it dawned on me.
"I got sucked through a wormhole." I say with excitement.

"You what...how are you not dead?" Howard is still clearly processing the information. He reaches in to unlatch the last belt I've been having trouble with, giving me a hand to exit the pod.

As the four of us return back to the center area of the Quester.

"Well technically...she is dea-" Mark starts his sentence but is quickly hit by Amy.

"If you traveled through a worm hole...then you may have entered a new timeline entirely. One where you died instead of...us." Amy looks around for support.

Howard turns his back on us, stepping towards a small port window to look out of.

Mark and I nod out head in agreement, this seeming to be the only logical explanation.
Mark sits down, pulling out a book explaining space anomalies, pointing out one to Amy.
I notice Howard hasn't said anything in some time.
I move over to him until I'm at his side.
"Captain Patterson? Would you be opposed if I served under you command?"

He turns to look at me, placing a hand on my shoulder.

"I wouldn't have it any other way."

I smile as I see a few tears in the corner of his eyes.

"Howard, they'res no crying allowed in space." I chuckle slightly, wiping the tears already forming in my eyes.

He lets out a hearty laugh, handing me a handkerchief.

"There is when you loose a part of your team."
I can't hide my smile, wiping the tears from my eyes with the cloth. With Howards gruff façade fallen for just a moment, I could see all the emotion he kept hidden from us for so long. He truly did make for a wonderful friend.

Clearing out his throat, Howards composure was back. He clapped his hands together to get the attention of the crew.

"Attention USS Quester! With a full crew on deck lets get going! We have space to explore!"

Maybe Earth can wait, I have some stars to count.