Chapter 2.4

"Mikoto? What are you doing?"

  It was around half an hour after we ate breakfast. I entered the kitchen again due to feeling thirsty, however the scene I found when I entered the kitchen was a surprising one. Mikoto stood at the counter with a few teacups in front of her and a teapot to the side.

"Hm? Oh, Tachibana. Hello." Mikoto greeted indifferently.

"Hi Mikoto," I greet her back. I soon notice not long after that the critic was trying to hide the teacups, however her efforts were unfortunately in vain. "are you making tea?"

"It's... none of your concern." Mikoto huffed, trying her best to keep herself together.

  I walked up closer to get a better look as to what Mikoto was up to. I was right; There were empty teacups sitting on the counter, and water was boiling inside the teapot. A basket of flowers, including the roses that she hand-picked yesterday, were placed neatly beside the cups. Beside that basket of flowers looked to be a list of everybody's favourite tea blends.

  "If you say so..." I say in a sing-song voice. "Hey, Mikoto, what did you want to tell me the other day?"

  Mikoto clears her throat, going to hide her hands behind her back. "Ah, yes. That. Well...

"Whenever I try to approach the others, they always seem to feel uneasy whenever I'm around. I'm trying my absolute best, however I'm not sure that they really want to be around me?"

"Well, I won't sugarcoat this, so..." I look Mikoto directly in her gray eyes. "You need to show more emotion, Mikoto. I think the main reason everybody feels so uncomfortable around you is because they can never tell if you feel uncomfortable around them."

If I focused hard enough, I could see that Mikoto looked to be unsettled by my words, almost terrified. "More emotion? How do I do that? Are you certain that you won't raise your voice or become incredibly irritated?"

  What kind of questions are those?

  "What? Of course I wouldn't!" I exclaim back at her. "I think I speak on behalf of everybody here that we want to be friends with you, Miko. Your current attitude is the only thing pushing us away.

  "So, promise me you'll try to show more of your feelings?"

  Mikoto stayed silent for a second. Two. Three. "... Alright."

  I cheered at her response. "Great! Alright, now will you tell me why you're making tea?"

  Turns out that the vast majority of the others, including Mikoto and I, enjoyed tea. For the few students that liked coffee more, Daisuke and Ryori, she would make a cup for them on a separate day. Apparently this was her way of trying to make friends with the rest of us, as some sort of peace offering. To Mikoto, actions speak louder than words most of the time, and honestly that makes a lot of sense.

  Mikoto wanted to try making a cup by herself, and I volunteered to taste test it for her. Before that I wanted to help her with making some for the others, but Mikoto insisted on trying to do it herself. It made sense, because she was the one who wanted to use it as a peace offering in the first place. To quote her words, I have no place in trying to solve a problem that she 'created'.

After waiting in the cafeteria reading a book I picked up in the library, Mikoto emerged from the kitchen with a cup of Chamomile tea, the blend I said that I preferred when Mikoto asked. I took a sip and...

  "... it's really good," I mumble under my breath, looking down at the beverage surprisingly. "like, really, really good. In my opinion, anyway."