Chapter 2.3

"Y'know, Daisuke... you look really familiar."

  Tansa, Daisuke, Shiho, Mutsuro, Neboru and I were hanging around in the courtyard after we all ate breakfast, with Mikoto in another part of the courtyard doing her own thing. I practically had to drag Mutsuro here. He needs to spend more time with the others. Plus, I wanted to fix up his bandages. Mutsuro said otherwise, but changing the bandages on his face wouldn't hurt anybody.

  Daisuke widened his eyes, adjusting his safari hat. "I was about to say that you look familiar as well."

I turned my body to look at the two as I finished soaking a hand towel in warm water, bringing it up to Mutsuro's face. "You two know each other?"

  Tansa fell down onto the grass behind her, staring up into the clouds displayed on the screens. "Yeah, I think so. Daisuke, before you went to Hope's Peak... did you live in Sunset Valley?"

  That definitely caught Daisuke's attention. "'Course I did! Are you shitting me?! It's the best!" A huge grin spread on the archaeologist's face.

  "There's abandoned towns and villages not too far from Sunset Valley! Whenever my parents and I went on expeditions we almost always found really cool stuff, unlike other archaeologists who rarely find anything worthwhile like some shit pieces of glass. There was this one time during an expedition in an abandoned village far but not too far from Sunset Valley I found some creepy stain on the ground that looked like, I dunno, fuckin' dried blood from a decade ago, and shoes that looked like they were used to dance in, fossils as well. I think Yumeko or Hinata or Ryori would'a liked to see 'em, I gotta bring you all sometime..."

"That definitely caught his attentio— Gah, it still kinda hurts." Mutsuro winced as I placed the gauze on the bruise.

"Oops. Sorry." I responded awkwardly, going to patch it up with actual bandages.

  Daisuke went on and on, rambling about all the discoveries he's made on expeditions. I don't think he really cared whether or not we were listening, I think Daisuke was just happy to be able to talk about it. Neboru was especially wrapped up in Daisuke's story, paying attention much more than the rest of us combined.

"Might I ask, Daisuke..." Neboru raised his hand, his back straight. "... What was the name of that abandoned village? If you do not have the knowledge, then please forget this question."

"Eh? Nah, it's fine Neboru." Daisuke crossed his arms and closed his eyes for a moment, thinking hard. "I think it... That gate at the entrance, 'think it was Yamakonai? Village looked very traditional, that's for sure."

Neboru looked unfazed, only nodding and turning back to continue to perform maintenance on his bow. It's amazing how he can create his own weapons from scratch and have them work so well. It's even more amazing how well he can put them to use. He isn't the Ultimate Archer without a reason.

Though, a part of me wanted to know why Neboru asked about the name of the village. It wasn't my business, though. He must have his reasons.

Tansa raised her hand above her head, giggling at Daisuke's rambling. "Well, Daisuke, I lived in Sunset Valley for a few years in Middle School."

"Oh, now that I think about it, I remember you!" Daisuke turned around to meet eyes with Tansa. "You were the only one at school with red hair, not to mention it was always in a bun! That shiny hairstick you always used to tie it up hurt my eyes whenever I looked at it. It was so fuckin' shiny..."

"I still have that hairstick, actually. Maybe I should wear it again." Tansa snickered, looking for a reaction.

"Please don't."