34: who's on your side?

Tension was building in the school as the investigation carried on

Tension was building in the school as the investigation carried on. The police were still convinced that Clay had something to do with the murder but after not finding any other evidence, they had to let him go which was why he was able to be in school. They had other possible killers to look into but nothing could shake Mrs Walker's belief that Clay had done it, she was convinced that he was the person behind it all and that the CCTV footage was the only evidence they needed to take him down.

Lily was sat in one of her classes that morning with Tyler, they spent a lot of time together since becoming friends and found out that they had more classes together than they had realised. They still had their pact of helping each other; Lily helped with essays as long as Tyler helped her with more creative projects and they were still enjoying each other's company. People stared at them sometimes, wondering how they had become friends but no one needed to know that they had more in common than even they knew.

"I saw Zach today; he didn't look good." Tyler whispered as they read from their textbooks.

"It's not my fault he's ignoring me, he won't answer any of my texts. I don't know what I've done wrong."

He shook his head. "I don't think you've done anything wrong; I don't know what you see in him anyway, he's a dick."

"He wasn't a dick to me." She replied, checking to make sure that their teacher wasn't watching them. "But I'm not trying anymore, if he has anything that he wants to say to me then he'll have to say it to my face."

Tyler was about to say something in the hope of cheering her up but they were interrupted by Clay and Tony, moving their seats so that they were all around the same table. Clay seemed out of breath, as if he had just run to class and Tony seemed worried which meant that whatever they were going to talk about wasn't going to be good news.

"Look, I'm telling you, it was Porter with the Sheriff." Clay told them worriedly, his forehead damp with sweat as he was obviously freaking out about this.

"Why would he come back here?" Lily asked, not understanding the connection.

Tony sighed, pressing his hands to his temple. "It's got to be about Bryce, right?"

Tyler fiddled with his fingers anxiously. "What if he knows about me somehow?"

"How could he? It has to be about Bryce."

"Miss Adams?" A teacher said, stepping into the classroom. "Tyler Down is needed in the Principal's office."

The small group of friends glanced at each other, knowing that whatever was about to happen wasn't going to be good and they were all worried about what the Principal would need to talk about with Tyler. Clay was even more worried at the fact that Mr Porter was spotted with the police as well and wondered if they were going to talk about the Bryce situation or if someone had told the cops about what had really happened at the Spring Fling.