Chapter 46: Here We Go Again

Start from the beginning

“Congratulations!” I told him.

He kissed me as we pulled away, “Thank you.”

“How does it feel?”

“Incredible, let’s get you back in the car.”

Before we could take another step however his friends approached for pictures. I tried to sneak away, but they insisted I stayed for pictures. His best friend stopped us as the rest of his friends left.

“Can I talk to you D?” he asked me.

“Sure,” I nodded.

Max kissed my cheek, “I’ll be in the car okay?”

I nodded, “Send Jim out?”

“Sure,” he smiled.

“What’s up?” I asked his best friend.

“Max told me the truth about what happened to you guys.”

“Oh….” I looked to the ground.

“I won’t tell anyone,” he replied, “I wouldn’t do that to my best friend.”

“Then why did you want to talk to me?”

“Because I know you never wanted to get Max involved.”

“No I didn’t,” I shook my head.

“He really loves you. I’ve never seen Max get serious about anybody. He’s always ignored his own feelings because he was afraid of getting hurt. You’re the first person he took a chance on. Whatever he has to do to keep you he’s going to do it.”

“Why are you telling me this?” I asked him.

“Maybe I didn’t always approve of you but that’s only because I didn’t know you. After everything Max has told me about your relationship I know I’ve been wrong. I hope we can be friends because you’re actually pretty cool. You’re good for him.”

I smiled, “I love him too, you know. I never expected my past to come back like it did.”

“We all make mistakes, D.”

“Yeah, but mine involved a lot of illegal things I completely regret. Thank you for being so cool about it.”

“I know it’s probably awkward talking about it. I figured that’s why you didn’t stay long.”

I nodded, “This is my first day out. I’m still getting over it I guess.”

He nodded, “I understand. I just wanted to say thank you.”

I smiled, “Thank you. Congratulations.”

            I went back to the car and sat next to Max. He put his arm around me and I rested my head on his chest as his parents started the car and we headed back to his house.

“What did he want to talk to you about?” Max finally asked me.

I smiled up at him, “It was nothing. It was just talk.”

“How are you feeling? Was it okay?”

“Yeah,” I nodded, “It was great actually. It felt good to be out in public again and I got to see you graduate and I didn’t have to talk to very many people.”

“Good, I’m glad.”

            His parents set up for dinner while we went to hang out in his room. We had the sole purpose to go in there and talk, but the second he looked at me he kissed me instead. We spent a half hour wrapped up in each other before getting to the actual talking. I laid on his bed after as he sat next to me and played with my hand.