39. In the Thick of Things

Start from the beginning

Again, I have to resist looking completely bewildered. Wait, now I’m even more confused. Regulus? Joining the Death Eaters? Dark Lord?

I take a deep breath and steel myself. “Oh yeah?” I say, putting on a brave face. “Maybe I don’t think you’re worth talking to. Why don’t you get the Dark Lord to come and speak to me himself?”

Lucius blinks in surprise at first, but then his face morphs into a sneer. “Want to see the Dark Lord, do you?” He reaches down to pull up the sleeve of his robes. “If you want a death wish, Black, then I’ll give you your death wish!”

“You’re getting ahead of yourself, Lucius!”

I turn my head at the sound of the harsh female voice to see a young woman standing at the door. Her hair a mane of pitch black around her head. Her eyes a lined with a thick ring of inky darkness. The look in her eyes crazed and bloodthirsty.

She leans against the doorframe and brushes a long strand of hair away from her face.

“Lucius, Lucius, Lucius,” she says, her voice dark and husky, “you really want to bring the Dark Lord all the way here for something so trivial? And you wonder why you are still just a third-rate.”

Lucius drops his sleeve back down over his half-exposed forearm and turns to face the woman, his eyes narrowed.

Bellatrix.”

Sirius

I let out another yell through my teeth. I can feel the sound of it ripping my throat raw but it didn’t matter. I need someone to find me. Anybody.

“Who on ea—Cecilia!”

I hear the sound of footsteps rushing to my side and breathe a sigh of relief. At this point, it doesn’t really matter who it is, though some part of me is thankful that it isn’t Sonata’s voice I’m hearing right now.

“You know you don’t have to yell the entire time you’re dead,” Lily calls out as she jogs over to me. “You’re really bad at games aren’t you—what’s wrong?” She takes one look at my stiff body and then pulls out her wand. “Finite incantatem!”

My chest instantly heaves for much needed breath. “Thanks, Lily,” I gasp out. “Get James.”

“Wha—James? Where’s Sirius, Cecilia? I thought he was with you.”

“James now, questions later, Lily! He’s been Stunned. Just go get him!” I wave my arm towards his general direction. “Over there!”

Thankfully, Lily knew better than to ask questions at a time like this. I hear her rush over to him and utter “Rennervate,” followed by a loud groan from James.

I shake out the aching feeling in my arms and legs from trying to physically release myself from the jinx and run over to James and Lily. I screech to a stop before them and drop to my knees. “Prongs, you alright?”

James blinks several times and then rubs his forehead. “If you can call the bloody headache of my life alright,” he groans again. “Who the hell was that? That was some Stunning Spell.”

“Lucius Malfoy,” I reply darkly. “He took Cecilia.”

Lily looks at me, confused. “Cecilia?” she repeats. “What are you on about? You’re Cecilia.”

I shake my head tiredly. “It’s a long story, Lily.”

“What do you mean?” she insists. “What’s going on?”