Kurt nodded to him. "Do you have the time, mate?" he asked. Obviously he did not waste any time in implementing his plan.

Dane raised his wrist slowly and squinted. The numbers on his watch were a blur to him. He smiled and turned his wrinkly neck to Kurt. "I'm sorry, I left my glasses." He moved his arm towards Kurt. "Could you read it?"

It was easier than he thought. While his left hand supported the old arm from underneath, Kurt's right gently held on to Dane's wrist, carefully moving the face of the watch as if he was trying to get a better view. "It's...It's–" He squinted, pretending to read the time with difficulty.

"This watch belonged to my great grandfather and has been passed down to the youngest child in the family." His voice was filled with delight. "Soon it will belong to my son. He will be visiting me soon."

Kurt was not interested at all with idle chitchat. While grandpa was preoccupied with his story, he managed to unclasp the lock with his left little finger that made the watch dangle around Dane's wrist like a bracelet. The old man didn't seem to notice this. He took a deep breath. "It's time to go, grandpa."

Shock took over Dane's face when Kurt skillfully yanked the watch off with his right hand. "No!" he yelled. He gasped as he felt the edge of the gold metal scrape against his skin, causing a laceration. He grimaced in pain as blood gushed out. "Stop! Thief!"

Kurt was quick to run as soon as he freed the watch from its owner. Former owner. Last thing he saw was Dane's carer running towards him to check if he was all right. He did not know if someone tried to chase him. He did not look back as he ran out of the park and boarded the next random bus that stopped by. He had the relieved smile of someone who has tasted victory. He pocketed his prize. He will have cash that day. And did he need that cash!

It was not long before he was in a pawn shop. He was very pleased to get three-hundred, fifty-two dollars and eighty-five cents. He felt like a lotto winner. Maybe his spirits would plummet as fast as hail would from the sky if he had known that he got duped–he could have gotten an extra four hundred dollars. But that was fine. He did not deserve it anyway.

"Hey, mate," he called the shop assistant. "Can I use your phone?" he asked her, eying the cordless phone beside the register.

She reluctantly handed the phone to him. She concealed her disgust when she saw his gritty fingers. She swore that she would be disinfecting the unit like a lunatic with obsessive compulsive disorder as soon as he gave it back.

Kurt rummaged through the crumpled cards and paper scraps that littered his wallet. He found what he was looking for and he was pleased to dial the number. "Hey! Where are ya?" He had a smile in his voice. "Let's meet up. I got me some cash and you know–" He laughed. The person on the other line understood what he meant. They made the arrangements to meet, and Kurt was looking forward to feast on a nice supply that would temporarily take him to his idea of heaven.

That night, he had three hundred dollars up his arm and into his veins. One shot and intense pleasure embraced him. The pains of hunger, bruised bones, and muscles escaped him. Heaven was a beautiful place–just as he was told. He reached out for a can of Jack Daniels from his backpack. Hooking a sooty forefinger in the ring-pull, he eagerly opened the can. The fresh sound of fizz was music to his ears. He drew the can to his dry lips and sculled the entire contents down. A smile of satisfaction filled his lips. He reached for another can out of the bag, then opened it. He savored the hissing sound. Like a beast devouring its prey, he sucked the liquid out of the can. The thirst that scratched his mouth and throat was quenched by that potion, which was more precious than gold to him. The same potion that has been poisoning his liver, and the rest of his body. He was very much aware what was wrong with him, but his health was the least of his priorities. There were many things plaguing his mind, yet he slept very well that night inside the tunnel of a park's play gym–very comfortably so. Tomorrow he will face the same disease that has been eating his body, mind and soul. Tomorrow he will suffer.