Chapter 4 (Radish Fiction Version)

Her pulse was whispering in her ear as she walked towards the Arts & Sciences building. She should have left earlier. Or better yet, she should have come the day before to find out where her classes were located. Her first class was due to start in less than half an hour and she had no idea where the room was. Asha adjusted the strap of her bag over her shoulder as she unfolded the campus map. Okay! Where is this damn classroom? It was a good thing that her first class was a language elective. She wanted to sign up for Spanish but with only a few students signed up, they had to cancel it, leaving her to take French instead. "I must have an old map! Its not here!"

She entered the enormous halls of the building. A typical scene on the first day of school–a mix of lecturers, professors and students brisk-walking around to get to their first period. Judging by the faces, it was easy to pick out who were the freshmen and who were the upperclass students. The freshmen had the look of bewilderment and anxiety. It was a new world for them after all. Their eyes wander around, probably hoping to see someone familiar so they don't feel so alone. Not Asha though. She prayed that no one from home decided to make the same move that she did. It was a new world for her, and she wanted a new life. Start afresh among the sea of strangers. This time, she wanted to steer her boat towards the waves and defiantly challenge the current. She adjusted her eyeglasses and snorted to herself. Defiantly challenge the current? She repeated in her head. She's challenging the current all right! But not defiantly! She was hiding. No one would know she was a freak. She closed her eyes. If she ever met someone whom she felt accepted her, maybe she'd show them the windows to her soul–the purple orbs that had been the object of jealousy when she was growing up. The source of her pain. Maybe it will be different now, she hoped.

Then, there were the ones from the higher years...They had the strut of those who thought that they owned the world. Chin up. Almost screaming, I'm above you. They knew the campus well. For a new person, this would be a maze. To them, they knew the whole campus like they would know their own home.

She couldn't help but feel overwhelmed when she entered the spacious lobby with columns inspired by Roman architecture. She could still smell the fresh paint on the white walls. She looked up, and the high ceilings made her feel like an elf standing at a giant's living room. Asha's eyes shifted from left to right. The hallways at both sides seemed endless to her. She walked towards the middle of the lobby and searched for a bulletin board or a sign with a list of some sort. She found a big cork board panel framed in dark wood. She went closer, hoping to find some sort of map, marked with a red arrow, telling her YOU ARE HERE, and showing where Introduction to French was being held. There was nothing on the board other than a banner spelling out Welcome to–whatever words came after that had already been torn off. She could already see some signs of vandalism on the newly posted notices. She grimaced. None of the notices were useful to her, unless she wanted to join the sports varsity team. Tryouts at the oval, she read. "I don't think so," she muttered under her breath. She took a quick glance at the antique grandfather clock at the centre of the lobby and realised she was running out of time. She frantically looked around for another board but failed miserably. She quickened her steps, her sneakers squeaking against the polished, black marble floors. She turned to the wing to her right and noticed that most of the rooms were offices. "Someone in there should be able to give me directions!" She strode towards the brown door with a plaque that said 'Student Council' hanging above it. She stopped in mid-stride when the back of a tall boy got her attention. She estimated him to be about six feet and two inches. He had light brown hair that had golden highlights in the sun, cut really short at the back, longer strands at the top. The back of his strong neck led her eyes down to his broad muscular back. He definitely worked out! The back was talking to someone. She was so transfixed by him that she stood still. He laughed. The sound of his laughter was caused her insides to shiver. A smile escaped her lips. "Wow." Then the back turned, and faced her. She stopped breathing. She couldn't remember how she ended up being just a couple of feet from him when she was just standing over–Oh my god! His eyes were a mesmerizing blue. Dark like sapphires with streaks as light as aquamarine. She had read many stories describing what angels would be like if one came face-to-face with them. Beautiful. Flawless. She was standing right before one.