Having an Affair with My Soon-to-Be Stepdad [16]

Start from the beginning

 What was I expecting? For James to call off his wedding to run away with me to Fiji? Okay, maybe! But not now. 'Soon-to-be stepdad?' Seemed like he was already sure about his move. I felt my eyes grow watery and shut them sadly.

 Suddenly I heard footsteps approaching. I wiped my wet face and looked up. I saw a tall guy with blonde hair approaching. I looked to the side, so as not to bring attention to myself.

 "So we meet again, Miss," I heard a familiar voice say.

 I looked up into bright green eyes and a smiling face. Oh Lord. It was the Howard kid, from that mansion party. I sighed to myself and stifled a curse. I'd have to go to school with this twit?

 "Dennis, was it?" I asked, unsure.

 "Douglas," he said with a laugh. "But you were close."

 I didn't laugh. I remembered back to when he had called me a fatherless moocher and frowned.

 "Listen," he said slowly. He sat down next to me. I scooted away a little. "I know what I said at the party was really uncalled for and rude...but you weren't being that elegant either," he admitted.

 I nodded my head. "You go here?" I asked, trying to change the subject.

 "For three years now. I'm a senior this year. You?" he asked, trying to get personal.

 "Same," I said simply.

 "Great! I could show you around, if you like," he said with a welcoming smile.

 "Maybe," I said, sniffing.

 "Are you alright?" he asked awkwardly.

 "I'm fine," I mumbled, feeling my eyes get wet again when I felt somebody else pointing it out.

 "Painful breakup? I just had one," he said, looking away.

 I looked at him. "Sure you did."

 "I did. Sincerely. Imagine getting dumped on your birthday," he said, leaning against the rail.

 "Happy birthday," I said, suppressing laughter. We both laughed.

 "Thanks, thanks a lot," he said pulling out his phone.

 "So...D'you have a job or something?" I asked, lacking normal conversation skills.

 "I work for my father as an intern," he said.

 "That must be...interesting," I said, pulling out my iPhone.

 "It's not," he said with a laugh.

 I saw a Lexus pull up. "That's my ride."

 I stood, as well as he. I took a good look at his face. He had thoughtful green eyes, pinkish lips, and was really tall. He was wearing an outfit a lot like James's, a gray cardigan, with burgundy stripes on the arm, plain white dress shirt underneath, burgundy tie, and khaki pants. His blonde hair was short, with his bangs hanging at one side of his face.

 He put out his hand. "Till we meet again..."

 "Mirage," I said, shaking his hand.

 "Mirage," he said slowly. "Beautiful."

 I blushed and smiled. "Bye."

 I walked towards the car and saw James looking at me suspiciously. I stepped in. "What?"

 "Who was that?"

 "He's Douglas Howard," I said, sure he would know of him.

 "Oh," he said slowly. "What were you doing with him?"